X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    Are there two Cheltenham festivals? One for gee-gees and one for arts? The reason I ask is that the one I used to go to was for jazz.
    Yes, horses in March and music in July. I once went to hear Martin Brabbins conduct all the Tchaikovsky symphonies in a day. Love the acoustic of the Pitville Pump Room.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
      I just get fed up with the whole of football when Leicester play so poorly. I accept defeat much more readily in horse racing.
      Hoping NA doesn't go to Reading.
      he won't.He will get a proper club. Like Leicester. Leeds seem to be favourite though.

Footy you have to be Kiplingesque about. Trusting in footballers is, if anything, dafter than trusting in horses.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Are there two Cheltenham festivals? One for gee-gees and one for arts? The reason I ask is that the one I used to go to was for jazz.
        they have been combined. Head for the racecourse and check out the after racing Acker Bilk tribute act, S_A.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Yes, horses in March and music in July. I once went to hear Martin Brabbins conduct all the Tchaikovsky symphonies in a day. Love the acoustic of the Pitville Pump Room.
          Ah thanks for the clarification, Alison.

Yes the Pump Room acoustic is remarkable - whatever size of ensemble seems to be playing. You had to hand it to those Regency beaux!

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            they have been combined. Head for the racecourse and check out the after racing Acker Bilk tribute act, S_A.

No way, bruv!!!

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Ah thanks for the clarification, Alison.

Yes the Pump Room acoustic is remarkable - whatever size of ensemble seems to be playing. You had to hand it to those Regency beaux!
              in a "What have the Regency Beaux ever done for us" kind of a way?

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                • Nov 2010

I certainly didn't agree with Tom Segal in todays Racing Post that the Cheltenham Festival wasn't as enjoyable this year.

Maybe his lack of winning selections had something to do with it.
                What does he know,he should stick to action films.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Hi Alison, just wandered into the snug after an evening of CD's. Good advice to teamsaint re Gergiev's Mahler cycle. I persevered but in the end gave up on it and never got 4 or 9. Pretty lucky that my freebie for subscribing to BBCMM was Abbado's Rome Beethoven synphonies set with the BPO.

After my amazing luck at Cheltenham and Uttoxeter races over the weekend where I trousered over £200 in winnings, the next round of drinks had better be on me.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                    Hi Alison, just wandered into the snug after an evening of CD's. Good advice to teamsaint re Gergiev's Mahler cycle. I persevered but in the end gave up on it and never got 4 or 9. Pretty lucky that my freebie for subscribing to BBCMM was Abbado's Rome Beethoven synphonies set with the BPO.

After my amazing luck at Cheltenham and Uttoxeter races over the weekend where I trousered over £200 in winnings, the next round of drinks had better be on me.
                    Well done, Petrushka

Comment

• Alison
                      • Nov 2010

Well done Pet. It was certainly a big occasion yesterday !

Let us know your purchases. Solti Messiah ordered today at my end!

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Well done Pet. It was certainly a big occasion yesterday !

Let us know your purchases. Solti Messiah ordered today at my end!
                        Wow, well done with the Solti Messiah! It's something of a revelation (well it was to me) and the choral singing is stunning. The big moments are properly overwhelming and I don't think you will regret this purchase one bit.

Still pondering on what to get. Like the look of the Furtwängler Vienna concerts 1944-1954 just out on Orfeo but I want to find the contents list first just to check on possible duplications.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I am listening to some Alwyn Piano music, reflecting on a fantastic weekends footie, and trying not to think about the working week ahead.

Still, as Oscar Wilde said, the only thing worse than having a job is not having a job.

Might start a music thread. " Do you prefer violin or Piano Concertoses". Something like that. Although that one isn't my idea.
                          Now that's what I call piano music.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                            Wow, well done with the Solti Messiah! It's something of a revelation (well it was to me) and the choral singing is stunning. The big moments are properly overwhelming and I don't think you will regret this purchase one bit.

Still pondering on what to get. Like the look of the Furtwängler Vienna concerts 1944-1954 just out on Orfeo but I want to find the contents list first just to check on possible duplications.
                            Is this any use, Petrushka? It's the best I can find

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Is this any use, Petrushka? It's the best I can find

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wilhelm-Furt...9&sr=1-1-fkmr0
                              Thanks, Am51. I managed to find this on the Orfeo site which has a bit more info: http://www.orfeo-international.de/pa...834118y_e.html

Sadly, there does appear to be too much duplication for me to make it worthwhile getting.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                                • Nov 2010

Good night all,have a great week at work folks,don't you just love Mondays.

Comment

Working...
                                X