X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Sunday night chat

I want a chat but can't see any thread that I want to contribute to.

Anyone else in the same position ?
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post

Yes, you're not alone this particular Sunday night. I find this sometimes when I'm scrolling through the threads and find that there are either those I've not got a lot of interest in or threads that seem to be on their last legs. I'll put a CD on instead!
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

A rather boring week on Radio 3 I thought ! Even Building a Library generated little or no heat.

Has anyone heard any works by William Mival ?
      Last edited by Alison; 03-03-13, 21:39.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
        • Mar 2007

A rather boring week on Radio 3 I thought !
        After 20+ years, I have finally stopped taking Radio Times. I realized that I just wasn't looking at it much at all and that the majority of my radio listening (other than CD Review, which I make a special point of 'tuning in' for) is done via iPlayer and downloads when someone (often here) prods me in the direction of something interesting.

Have today stumbled across Baroque Spring, but at least, from a quick search of the schedules, it isn't going to dominate 24/7. Don't get me wrong, I like baroque, but wouldn't want it playing all the time.
        Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

That's funny, I didn't buy Radio Times last week either ! Can't believe how expensive it is now.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
            • Mar 2007

Radio France had Mahler 1 as the subject of their Jardin de critiques programme this afternoon (currently downloading). If Ivan Fischer's Budapest recording features, I may add it to my (bulging) shopping basket...
            Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Perhaps you should do a Mahler 1 survey for IRR ? Would you then get to keep everything ?

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
                • Mar 2007

Perhaps you should do a Mahler 1 survey for IRR ? Would you then get to keep everything ?
                There's a thought! However, there are other, eminently more qualified colleagues when it comes to old Gustav. Am hoping to do another survey later this year... probably operatic, although Scheherazade may raise her veiled head to feature in plans at some point.

Comment

• Alison
                  • Nov 2010

Let us know about the Mahler 1 conclusions from across the Channel.

Scheherazade very much your forte !

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Let us know about the Mahler 1 conclusions from across the Channel.

Scheherazade very much your forte !
                    I saw they were doing the Mahler 1 from the schedule on the thread started by MickyD. From those on offer I'd have gone for the Jansons myself.

Kondrashin for Scheherzade, IGI! But don't rule out RPO/Kempe, a quite superb performance!
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Depends what you want to chat about, Alison. You could go to 'Stormy weather', which, while it is loosely based on weather reports often diverges onto general topics.

If you want general chat, I can offer the following comment: I spent an amazing 20 minutes watching a heron in the duck pond in Queens Park (in Glasgow). It was only about 8 feet from the path, completely un-bothered by the people watching while it went about its business catching toads. I assume that's what they were as it was catching them, dropping them back in the water, catching them again, swishing them about - I think it was washing away the nasty liquid the toads exude if they are in danger. Eventually the toad was swallowed.

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

It's always easier to join in threads if you get involved at the beginning! Alphabet Associations, Stormy Weather and Eternal Breakfast have eluded me on that basis.

Do the toads stand any chance of escaping ?

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

It's always easier to join in threads if you get involved at the beginning! Alphabet Associations, Stormy Weather and Eternal Breakfast have eluded me on that basis.

Do the toads stand any chance of escaping ?
                          I don't know, but I would doubt it. Herons have fearsome beaks or bills (I'm not an expert). In January I posted some heron pictures which I took a few years ago. Here's the link.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            I spent an amazing 20 minutes watching a heron in the duck pond in Queens Park (in Glasgow). It was only about 8 feet from the path, completely un-bothered by the people watching while it went about its business catching toads. I assume that's what they were as it was catching them, dropping them back in the water, catching them again, swishing them about - I think it was washing away the nasty liquid the toads exude if they are in danger. Eventually the toad was swallowed.
                            The same sort of thing happened the first time I ever went to Cockermouth in May, 2008. Having visited the Wordsworth birthplace, we went for a stroll along the river (either the Cocker or the Derwent - the one that runs parallel to the High Street) and there, in the middle of the river, was a heron, preening and feeding itself; completely indifferent to all the humans gazing transfixed at it from both sides of the bank. A complete stranger pointed at it and asked me "What do you call him?" I said I thought it was a heron and we watched it as she took this in. Ten minutes or so later, the heron got bored and flew off. Everybody shook themselves and carried on their business; the stranger smiled at me and said "See yer!" and moved off. A delightful experience.
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Oh, just jump in, Alison; all three threads had been running for months before I started contributing to them - they're always grateful for new blood!
                              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X