X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

Baroque Off!

Apparently, we're in for another wretched themed month on Radio 3. Nothing wrong with a theme, whatsoever, but when New Radio 3 goes out to parrot their glories on these occasions they reach such abysmally low levels of crassness; and worst of all, they'll spend the entire four weeks trailing, re-trailing and trailing again every cringeworthy moment of it.

Well, at least I 'm away in Gran Canaria for the first week.

It's one thing to want to be reaching out to new listeners, but hey, New Radio 3, five year old, fifteen year olds, even don't listen to Radio 3 and they are no more likely to with this shrill, naieve and naff approach.

As for this fifty year old. I might pop back again in April, or perhaps I'll have realised that silence beats such base inadequacy of planning and presentation.

SHB
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... Enjoy the Canaries!

This is going to be a difficult month for me. The baroque period is where I get most of my musical nutrition and succour - but the prospect of continual interlardings with - as suffolk says, 'the naive and the naff' - the gruesome prospect of the smiley Katie Derham 'presenting' - the grinding crassness of tweets and pleas for tweets and other 'interactivity' - means that this Loyal Listener will mainly be turning off for the duration.

The Canaries sounds tempting. Sadly I have commitments that keep me here: fortunately I have a large collection of baroque CDs and scores, so I shall be all right...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
      to parrot their glories ....

....goodness , you'll be giving up on the human race next....

....remember Purcell washes tritest....<enjoying it actually>
      bong ching

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

<<Purcell washes tritest>>

Divine wordplay. Well done that man! Carry on.

Comment

• Byas'd Opinion

Will the news be given over entirely to stories about Baroque Obama?

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Byas'd Opinion View Post
            Will the news be given over entirely to stories about Baroque Obama?
            ... only in Europe - where we say 'barokk'.

In America, like the economy, everything's 'baroke'...

Incidentally I see that one of themed programmes is called "Baroque busted" - I feel sure its originator pronounced baroque after the American manner and thought he/she was making an amusing word-play "Broke / busted"

Comment

• kernelbogey
              • Nov 2010

Spielberg is apparently currently casting a film on the Baroque period. He had Ben Affleck and Arnold Schwarzenegger over for Sunday brunch to pitch it to them. On the third cup of coffee after the Eggs Benedict, he outlined some of the composers who would feature.

'I could see myself as Vivaldi,' said Affleck.

Schwarzenegger stole a glance at his Rolex and said 'Jeez, guys, I gotta run.'

Shaking hands with the great director he said 'I'll be Bach'.

Comment

• Gordon
                • Nov 2010

So if it a ain't baroque don't fix it !! l love baroque music but all that tweeting and send us your comments stuff really is condescending nonsense.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                  Spielberg is apparently currently casting a film on the Baroque period. He had Ben Affleck and Arnold Schwarzenegger over for Sunday brunch to pitch it to them. On the third cup of coffee after the Eggs Benedict, he outlined some of the composers who would feature.

'I could see myself as Vivaldi,' said Affleck.

Schwarzenegger stole a glance at his Rolex and said 'Jeez, guys, I gotta run.'

Shaking hands with the great director he said 'I'll be Bach'.

"...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                    • Dec 2010

Where do 18th century HIPP performers live?

In back-to-Bach houses

(It's all right - I haven't copyrighted it)

Comment

• jean
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I'm listening to the Sunday Feature now on the ideas that shaped the Baroque, which is all about the architecture, and reminds me how much I hate that while I love the music.

Didn't someone say that when you listen to Wagner, you know you'd hate the wallpaper?

Comment

• teamsaint
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        Where do 18th century HIPP performers live?

In back-to-Bach houses

(It's all right - I haven't copyrighted it)

the more way out ones live in the Bach of beyond, suppose. And do their shopping at Viv Aldi.
                        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Baroque-around-the-clock
                          BBC Radio 3 to reflect Red Nose Day with a 12-hour Baroque music marathon as part of month-long Baroque Spring season.
                          • Top of the Baroque: BBC Radio 3 presenters battle it out to persuade listeners to support their favourite Baroque work
                          • Beastly Baroque: Simon Russell Beale stars in five hilarious sketches, bringing the Baroque to life from Monday 11 March
                          • Dance Baroque: BBC Radio 3 puts the swing into the 18th century with a live concert from York University

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

I never imagined the day would come when I hate to hear the word ‘Baroque’.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

I've heard this orchestra on TTN, where Jonathan insists on pronouncing their name as Bee-Rock, as though he doesn't get the joke. (But perhaps I don't either. )

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                              Baroque-around-the-clock
                              BBC Radio 3 to reflect Red Nose Day with a 12-hour Baroque music marathon as part of month-long Baroque Spring season.
                              • Top of the Baroque: BBC Radio 3 presenters battle it out to persuade listeners to support their favourite Baroque work
                              • Beastly Baroque: Simon Russell Beale stars in five hilarious sketches, bringing the Baroque to life from Monday 11 March
                              • Dance Baroque: BBC Radio 3 puts the swing into the 18th century with a live concert from York University

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediacentre/lat...ic-relief.html
                              D'you think if we all club together to donate to Comic Relief we can persuade them Not To?
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

Working...
                              X