• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Demetrius
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
    Beowulf
    The new one that I didn't bother to watch or the old (80s I always thought, turns out to be from 1999) one with Announcements through Loudspeakers, the Knight with a helmet without any spyholes/eyelets whatsoever who unsurprisingly fails to defeat Grendel, the black accountant making bad jokes and a Beowulf who would be more at home as fighting shaolin monk?

For a new bad one in this vein, I recommend Snow White and the Huntsman - It's hilarious, especially when it comes to Snow White's various clothing items.

Comment

• Pabmusic
      • May 2011

Originally posted by Demetrius View Post
      The new one that I didn't bother to watch or the old (80s I always thought, turns out to be from 1999) one with Announcements through Loudspeakers, the Knight with a helmet without any spyholes/eyelets whatsoever who unsurprisingly fails to defeat Grendel, the black accountant making bad jokes and a Beowulf who would be more at home as fighting shaolin monk?...
      The new one, but the old one sounds a contender!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

Can we add The Piano to the list? It really was like watching paint dry, plus of course the ghastly Michael Nyman music. This is my candidate for the most overrated film of all time.
        There is always the category of films that are so bad that they're good, such as the Blob, Steve McQueen's first movie.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          Can we add The Piano to the list? It really was like watching paint dry, plus of course the ghastly Michael Nyman music. This is my candidate for the most overrated film of all time.
          Yes - among films with pretensions to quality, it's waaaay down among the worst. And most annoying and depressing score ever.

Thropples, we must have watched Skyfall in a very different way! Do things like

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
          18th Century duelling pistols having impossible accuracy
          really ruin it for you?

I loved it !

Except... except...

That WRETCHED song (Oscar?! ).... worse than Nyman's music for "The Piano"
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Of course it's not how real spying is done, and neither are the Bourne films.
            :
            Maybe our Derbyshire friend could enlighten us ?

This is what we want

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              That was not a bad film though!

The reference is too good to miss:

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g
              "The address wasn't understood"

Comment

• Jonathan
                • Mar 2007

I wouldn't put it in the category as a really bad film but we saw "Silver Linings Playbook" (or whatever) some weeks ago and it certainly isn't worth all the hype it's been getting since the oscars. Just found it rather trite and not very involving. But that's probably just me.
                Best regards,
                Jonathan

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

"The Spy Who Loved Me"- The best film ever made?:-

Pure comedy gold from the second series of I'm Alan Patridge (Never Say Alan Again)
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                    Host
                    • Nov 2010

Popeye
                    Notting Hill
                    What Women Want
                    Pretty Woman
                    Ocean 12
                    Mission Impossible
                    Fifth Element

...and just to set the cat among the pigeons - "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (though the book is excellent)

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                      "2001 - A Space Odyssey" (though the book is excellent)

the only context for J Strauss IMV
                      and wonderful use of Ligeti's music .......

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The music's great...

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Thropples, we must have watched Skyfall in a very different way! Do things like

4) 18th Century duelling pistols having impossible accuracy

really ruin it for you?

I loved it !

Yes, they do. I suppose I thought it might actually credit the viewer with a smidgeon of intelligence, as opposed to being yet another escapist fantasy far removed from any sense of the universe as most people actually experience it. It wasn't even true to the universe it purported to represent i.e. it's internal logic wasn't consistent.

The whole thing felt like a pastiche, a Bond pantomime, if you will. A tick box of past Bonds (Komodo dragons for sharks, etc.), the same old "exotic" locations, etc., etc. The formula feels so tired, so banal in 2013...

I found it idiotic. I didn't care what happened to M or Bond or even the Scottish gamekeeper in the end.

I'm not opposed to this type of blockbuster. I find The Bourne films utterly convincing. Daybreakers, for example, is a superb modern vampire flick, where I can happily suspend my disbelief because it never insults my intelligence. Its internal logic makes sense. Everything has been thought through. It doesn't feel slapdash or banal.

I watch a lot of cinema from all eras and locales, with the 60s and 70s being the most impressive (in general) for American cinema, though there are exceptions e.g. Kubrick, perhaps being my 'benchmark' director. World cinema consistently throws up gems (Still Walking, a superb Japanese family drama, for instance). My ideal of a good cinematic experience might involve escapism into a consistent fantastic world (Sunshine by Danny Boyle was a good recent sci-fi) or something set in the quotidian world, cerebral, where the viewer isn't spoon fed plot points in transparent dialogue (Bardem's first long expositional speech(brilliantly delivered, mind), where the viewer is actually credited with the intelligence to follow what's often merely hinted at e.g. Wong Kar Wai's In The Mood For Love.

The problem is: most people think blockbuster = brainless. Many films prove it doesn't have to be this way. (See the Bourne trilogy). I suppose the average blockbuster-goer doesn't want to use their brain in the cinema, though. Or doesn't expect to have to.
                          Last edited by Guest; 02-03-13, 21:07.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

I suppose I thought it might actually credit the viewer with a smidgeon of intelligence, as opposed to being yet another escapist fantasy far removed from any sense of the universe as most people actually experience it.
                            Right....but you enjoyed a vampire movie.....
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                              Right....but you enjoyed a vampire movie.....
                              I also explained why I enjoyed it

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

I also explained why I enjoyed it
                                Yes, you did, but your reasons did not convince me. Skyfall was not thrown together, neither was it slapdash or banal. It also had its own internal logic, which drove the entire narrative. And yes, it was a homage to other Bonds, in celebration of the 50th anniversary, that was part of the appeal- hence the return of the Aston Martin. And far from feeling tired and banal, the formula still works, and indeed had been given a new lease of life in the hands of Daniel Craig.

You're clearly a fan of the Bourne movies, and they're perfectly good. But they are no more believable than Skyfall.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X