X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • richardfinegold
    • Sep 2012

Downton Abbey

What is going on with that show? My better half is outraged that they are killing off the best characters.
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

... some of us think it wd have been better if ALL the characters had gone down with the Titanic in episode one

Comment

• Sir Velo
      • Oct 2012

DA is a soap for those who claim they "never watch soaps".

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
        DA is a soap for those who claim they "never watch soaps".
        One could say the same thing about practically any serial drama on TV.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          What is going on with that show? My better half is outraged that they are killing off the best characters.
          Good luck with this one, richardfinegold!!
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

They're just mimicking Dynasty.

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
              They're just mimicking Dynasty.
              God forbid! This might entail the spawning of an offshoot series called The Crawleys, mightn't it?!...

I've often wondered why, in these economically challenged times, someone doesn't try to merge soaps so that there are fewer of them; EastArchers would be a good start, swiftly followed by Emanation Street, perhaps...

Anyway, back to Upstairs Downton; I'm just wondering who the principal characters will deal with the three-day week, punk and the miners' strike, let alone MPs' expenses and the financial crisis...

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Heartbeat was a soap too. Except that it had no concept of time as we know it. Even in Nick Rowan's time, we saw a car tax disc dated 12/69 after which his daughter grew to the age of around 4, then Nick left for Canada and several winters passed and Maggie Bolton got back with Dr Bolton and they had a child who almost reached school age before leaving the cast. Gina Ward had her first pregnancy, but then had a long relationship with an artist before having a second pregnancy, and the long drawn-out Australian story. By the end of this, it was mid-1969!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Acorn Antiques was the only soap worth watching (IMHO of course). Acting that surpassed anything in Eastenders.

This is the first episode of Victoria Wood's "Acorn Antiques" (from "As Seen On TV", 1985). Co-starring Julie Walters as Mrs. Overall, Celia Imrie as Babs an...

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

For Mrs Finegold's information, from a profile interview with Lynn Barber in the Sunday Times a while ago it sounded as if lead actor Dan Stevens wanted to leave. The only plausible [sic] option for the scriptwriters was to kill him off.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                      ....Yes, heartbroken that they are killing them off 'just like that' (are they?)....indeed they should be left to a long long lingering excrutiating painful death having to watch it being played out again and again on Channel Dave....

Ed....please notice that I missed out the "staring at their entrails " bit from my post.....ooops!
                      bong ching

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

As the OP is writing from across the pond he may not be following some of the more recondite cultural references in this thread

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                          For Mrs Finegold's information, from a profile interview with Lynn Barber in the Sunday Times a while ago it sounded as if lead actor Dan Stevens wanted to leave. The only plausible [sic] option for the scriptwriters was to kill him off.
                          Yes, and Mrs F may wish to take dramatic comfort from the writer's view here: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/t...happiness.html
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Acorn Antiques was the only soap worth watching (IMHO of course). Acting that surpassed anything in Eastenders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqTznu59InY
                            You can not be serious ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qqCRaHGMmA

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Hmmm - perhaps you're right. It's impossible to send up the original when the original does such a good job of sending up itself

(and there was me thinking that you'd be Mrs Overall's number one fan, Ams)

Comment

Working...
                              X