Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Beef Oven

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    well, that must surely be the most bonkers saturday night MB exchange of all time.

Excellent work all round!
    How was the gig?

Comment

• JFLL
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
      "If", yes, but how many such individuals do you suppose such large corporations ask first for their preferred payment method before issuing cheques?
      I don’t suppose ‘large corporations’ do ask, but if they do still use them on a large scale, they presumably do it for all-round convenience, so cheques can hardly be moribund.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
        How was the gig?

Very good thanks, Beefy. Crowd obviously gave him a great reception. All the usual Wilko moves and grooves, and he seemed in good spirits.He said a while ago that being onstage is what he really loves, and it showed. He certainly put on a fine show. Norm Watt Roy is always worth going to see as well, what an extraordinary bass player and performer he is.
        Really glad I was able to see him again, he really is a part of British music history. There is certainly nobody quite like him !
        He does it right !
        Last edited by teamsaint; 24-02-13, 11:20.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Well done Pet: I didn't anticipate over six score messages on this subject !

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            Why do you need a business bank account ?
            or is a business "back" account for Osteopaths ?
            If you run a Limited Company, as I do, you are required by law to have a Business bank account.
            I'm not sure whether this ruling applies to 'Sole Traders'.

Of course, if you are neither a Sole Trader nor a Limited Company, but simply self-employed, you can use a Personal bank account, but for office-work / accountancy purposes it's neater and more efficient to have a business bank account as well as a personal one.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
              No, go away.
              It's much easier just to stick him on Ignore. That's what I've done.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
                If you run a Limited Company, as I do, you are required by law to have a Business bank account.
                I'm not sure whether this ruling applies to 'Sole Traders'.

No it doesn't

BUT have you heard "Star Cheque" by the wonderful Jim Rattigan for 6 (or maybe 8 ?) horns ?
                It was played at the ROH a couple of hears ago at the British Horn Society bash by Jim and Pip Eastop, Roger Montgomery , Nigel Black etc etc

I didn't know you were a percussionist though ?

That's

Company #1 to own the instruments
                Company #2 to own the van
                Company #3 to contract you as a player
                Company #4 to cover work you dep out

so a simple gig & porterage can result in a great deal of contract exchange between all of them resulting in a large house in the country for you and all for 30 seconds of triangle

it's not really "more efficient" to have a so called "business bank account" as all that is is one that the bank charge you for , there's nothing to stop you having several "personal" accounts in different banks and to use them for different purposes. And even though you can offset expenses against tax you still end up paying........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz and loosing the will to live thinking about it (which is why accountants were invented)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

To you, perhaps, but not to me and not to anyone who has not mailbox or post office within walking distance.
                  Retaining cheques doesn't mean that you wouldn't be able to use other means for paying or being paid. You prefer not to use cheques - fine, it's your choice. I (& a not inconsiderable number of others) would like to be able to use cheques. The banks don't want us to because it eats into their profits.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Madame Suggia View Post
                    I tend to leave payment to staff.
                    quaite raite!

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                      It's much easier just to stick him on Ignore. That's what I've done.
                      Well, good for you; that won't help everyone else, though, will it?

If people still want to use cheques and banks are not allowed to cease to issue them (which is the case for the time being but no one knows for how long), that's up to them; as long as I'm not expected to use them, that's also fine.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

If people still want to use cheques and banks are not allowed to cease to issue them (which is the case for the time being but no one knows for how long), that's up to them; as long as I'm not expected to use them, that's also fine.
                        Finally

So you get the idea that "convenient" is relative NOT absolute

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

a post suggesting that business banks accounts for sole traders are good for the customer, or fair, or reasonable, or good value, would help balance the discussion..........
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

as long as I'm not expected to use them, that's also fine.
                            I don't think anybody was expecting you to if you didn't want to; you, on the other hand, were insisting, against the evidence provided by several people, that cheques were inconvenient & shouldn't be used.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

This is another of those occasions when a gentle reminder is needed to remind all posters not to insult, abuse or bully one another. In other words, disagree in a tolerant and unaggressive way.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                                a post suggesting that business banks accounts for sole traders are good for the customer, or fair, or reasonable, or good value, would help balance the discussion..........
                                No one (and that includes my accountant who used to be a Tax inspector ) has given me a good reason why , given the nature of being a SOLE trader it's necessary. If the banks actually tried to support small enterprises then I might reconsider but I fail to see what is offered apart from more expense that is best avoided.
                                I'd do a sock under the bed if that was possible

Comment

Working...
                                X