X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Go for it Hilary

Our current royal family doesn’t have the difficulties in breeding that pandas do, but pandas and royal persons alike...

I thought Davy's "response" I heard on the radio was hilarious
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

an excellent essay i found .... not at all the strumpetry paraded in the rags ...
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Faultless analysis. Mannequin. Verily, it is le mot juste.

Comment

• gradus
        • Nov 2010

Thorougly enjoyed Ms Mantel's essay and whilst on the subject, may I recommend the review written by Richard Davenport Hines in the same edition of LRB.

Comment

• scottycelt

My own impression (for what it's worth ) is that Ms Mantel appears to be more obsessed with the appearance and behaviour of the Royals and those understandably awkward in their presence than most of us. I do wonder if some Americans would feel any less awkward in the close company of President Obama & First Lady?

A rambling, confused piece that never seems to go anywhere in particular and therefore ends up precisely nowhere.

Maybe a jolly read for republicans who like that sort of stuff but that's all.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Too knackered to read the whole thing.
            Would it be fair to sum up:
            The monarchy is an outdated anachronism.
            princess middleton knew what she was getting into, and would have been locked up as a stalker under different social conditions.

Incidentally, the BBC seems to be being paid for by the royal family, from the brief bits of 5 live I heard today.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Bang goes her Damehood.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MrGongGong
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                A rambling, confused piece that never seems to go anywhere in particular and therefore ends up precisely nowhere.
                So apart from the Old Testament

I thought it was perceptive but she seems to have got into a spot of bother for not following the script

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                  Bang goes her Damehood.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

I thought the thread was going to be about Hilary Clinton - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...eaking-circuit

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

The Neanderthal struggles with long sentences, paragraphs, and the very notion of a meandering point. Who's surprised?

Here. Essays For Dummies: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Essay

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                        My own impression (for what it's worth ) is that Ms Mantel appears to be more obsessed with the appearance and behaviour of the Royals and those understandably awkward in their presence than most of us. I do wonder if some Americans would feel any less awkward in the close company of President Obama & First Lady?

Maybe a jolly read for republicans who like that sort of stuff but that's all.
                        In scottyworld, if there's one thing worse than a Protestant republican, it's an intelligent uppity woman with a point of view and an opportunity to share it with scotty

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                          Bang goes her Damehood.
                          Good-o, I'll have it!

I've always said, I'm only interested in three of the available honours - Companion of Honour, Order of Merit and a Damehood - everything else is sooo hoi polloi

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            princess middleton knew what she was getting into, and would have been locked up as a stalker under different social conditions.
                            I'm sure that she did, more than did Princess Diana, perhaps - but whether or why she might have been "locked up as a stalker under different social conditions" remains unexplained and in need of some explanation, methinks.

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Incidentally, the BBC seems to be being paid for by the royal family, from the brief bits of 5 live I heard today.
                            If that is really the case, then (a) can I have my licence fees for × years back and (b) what do you suppose they made of yesterday's 24-hour strike by NUJ members there, since no royal seems yet to have published any comment on this?...

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              I thought the thread was going to be about Hilary Clinton - http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...eaking-circuit
                              Well at least it's not about Hilary Brewer...

Comment

Working...
                              X