X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eighthobstruction
    • Nov 2010

Forestry: A Govt Report jan 2013

After the government Forest Sell Off Fiasco of 2010, a panel was set up to look into it - this is the resulting government report....http://www.defra.gov.uk/publications...-statement.pdf
    bong ching
  • umslopogaas
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that eighthobstruction, I have perused it and will think of something useful to say, I hope. I was peripherally involved with UK forestry and Forest Research when I was working. If I dont get back, nag me, I will have forgotten.

After some thought ... I havent forgotten.

Forests are lovely and the public like them, great places to go for a bit of fresh air, walk the dog, have a bit of quality time with the current lady. However, remember that almost all planted forests and quite a few managed natural ones are also crops. Timber trees are just like giant, slow-growing wheat, you set them down and eventually when they are big enough, you harvest them.

This provokes an interesting reaction from the public. When you put a lot of young trees in the green fields and hills they know and love, they complain you are taking away their glorious countryside and covering it with horrible conifers. Then, thirty years later when you harvest the crop, they complain you are cutting down all their lovely trees. You cant win. Which is why foresters wear greenish camouflage clothing and keep well out of sight.

Comment

Working...
    X