Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    The Newsreader on BBC24 has just confided that this was the main subject of conversation today amongst her BBC colleagues so maybe that's the reason, mangerton ... ?

Everyone was 'shocked' she declared.

The staff at the BBC obviously believes it's own hype about these sporting celebrities as if they all lead wonderfully admirable and wholly fulfilled lives, unlike the rest of humanity.
    To be fair to those working on 24-hours news programmes they are 'aware' of these stories from the first and can watch them as they develop hence their fascination.

When was the last time a Paralympic athlete was up on a murder charge, scotty? Potentially much more of a story than 'Old Man Decides To Retire', surely
    Last edited by Guest; 14-02-13, 22:23. Reason: new para

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      The Newsreader on BBC24 has just confided that this was the main subject of conversation today amongst her BBC colleagues so maybe that's the reason, mangerton ... ?

Everyone was 'shocked' she declared.

The staff at the BBC obviously believes it's own hype about these sporting celebrities as if they all lead wonderfully admirable and wholly fulfilled lives, unlike the rest of humanity.
      Yes, that is very probably the reason.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        To be fair to those working on 24-hours news programmes they are 'aware' of these stories from the first and can watch them as they develop hence their fascination.

When was the last time a Paralympic athlete was up on a murder charge, scotty? Potentially much more of a story than 'Old Man Decides To Retire', surely

Comment

• Russ

It's not obvious what Purnell's job will be other than provide a further level of interference to current posts.

Russ

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

..to carry on Birt's works no doubt ...

if you change the n in his surname to a c it seems a much better appointment

and if you make Birts Works Birks Works it sounds much better too ..]

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

When was the last time a Paralympic athlete was up on a murder charge
              yes, its going to be quite an exclusive club isn't it

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Russ View Post
                It's not obvious what Purnell's job will be other than provide a further level of interference to current posts.
                The press release says:

"James Purnell, currently a senior producer at Rare Day and adviser to the Boston Consulting Group, has been appointed as Director, Strategy and Digital. He is a former Secretary of State for Culture, and is on the board of the British Film Institute and the Royal National Theatre. He is returning to the BBC, having been Head of Corporate Planning in the 1990s. He will lead on developing the BBC's strategy, in the build up to the BBC's centenary. To that end, his remit will include running the Policy & Strategy, Digital, Public Affairs & Communications, and Marketing & Audiences divisions."

That seems to include Davie's original job in Marketing, Audiences and Communications (Davie seems to have a similar remit now, but grander). I doubt 'digital' can be the equivalent of 'Future Media' since he isn't technically qualified ... . Policy and Strategy seem to be the bits tied up with the Beeb's forthcoming centenary.

I agree, not obvious what he will be doing.
                It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  The press release says:

"James Purnell, currently a senior producer at Rare Day and adviser to the Boston Consulting Group, has been appointed as Director, Strategy and Digital. He is a former Secretary of State for Culture, and is on the board of the British Film Institute and the Royal National Theatre. He is returning to the BBC, having been Head of Corporate Planning in the 1990s. He will lead on developing the BBC's strategy, in the build up to the BBC's centenary. To that end, his remit will include running the Policy & Strategy, Digital, Public Affairs & Communications, and Marketing & Audiences divisions."

That seems to include Davie's original job in Marketing, Audiences and Communications (Davie seems to have a similar remit now, but grander). I doubt 'digital' can be the equivalent of 'Future Media' since he isn't technically qualified ... . Policy and Strategy seem to be the bits tied up with the Beeb's forthcoming centenary.

I agree, not obvious what he will be doing.
                  But why such an astonishingly high salary? I thought this was a time of austerity? Is his (largely unspecified) role really worth eight (probably more) NHS nurses? Or two chief exectives of housing associations?

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

But why such an astonishingly high salary? I thought this was a time of austerity? Is his (largely unspecified) role really worth eight (probably more) NHS nurses? Or two chief exectives of housing associations?
                    Well, it did occur to me that the breadth of the remit perhaps required 3 people, each on £100,000. But they'll probably appoint them too, as junior managers
                    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Well, it did occur to me that the breadth of the remit perhaps required 3 people, each on £100,000. But they'll probably appoint them too, as junior managers

Comment

• Vile Consort
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                        Goodness knows, but the first 15 mins of PM tonight were devoted to Pistorius, of whom I'd never heard until today. "Man suspected of shooting woman in flat".
                        Ah ... so it isn't just me then!

Comment

• handsomefortune

Recreations: walking, food, travel. No obvious arts interests, then.

appointed to an important job by the BBC at £295 p.a.

two pounds ninety five would be ideal anotherbob!

all the more money spare to reward the highest journalistic standards.

as for 'excellence' it's been an abysmal start to the twenty first century as far as i can see, and i hope they include this specific point at their centenary megaburbble fest.(which should really be our centenary but somehow isn't any more ).

"bbc" think best bet, create more posts with a different selection of aspirational lemmings in order to maintain tippy top down power structure, and thrape it till it gives out no more cash:the logic of pub fruit machine players .....it's really gr8 for a tiny minority!

Comment

Working...
                          X