X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    In these dramatic photographs I can see adult men and male children having a great time but females appear to be confined to male hair-braiding.

Is this an accurate representation of a limited appeal?
    They are all in the boat!
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flay View Post
      They are all in the boat!
      well I was beginning to wonder .. or are they buttering the bridge rolls ready for half-time?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        The train journey from Glasgow to Inverness is one of the great British train journies passing through some wonderful countryside and past whisky distilleries with huge barrels emblazoned with famous names
        Now that IS an opportunity missed!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
          Gone fishin'
          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
          Now that IS an opportunity missed!
          - got there before me, ResMan!
          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
            The shortest ferry link to Orkney is via Scrabster (a short bus ride from Thurso) - that to Orkney + Shetland is from Aberdeen (overnight to Shetland - highly recommend the boat) + and easy walk from Rail Station to a very civilsed Ferry terminal
            Both Island groups are well worth a visit - quite different in nature though both sharing a Norse background - you need at least 2 weeks to gain even a flavour
            100% endorsed.

Comment

• mangerton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
              Would really love to go to Orkney. Preferably via train and ferry.
              But my annual holiday entitlement is only 5 weeks.

Incidentally, there are some great "advance" train deals to Inverness, which leaves you just 110 miles shy of the ferry !!
              (I know , there is a train as far as Wick...).
              The train goes to Thurso as well - it used to split at Georgemas Junction - from where as Frances_iom points out it's a short hop to Scrabster for the ferry to Orkney. The train passes the Glenmorangie distillery, Carbisdale Castle which is now a youth hostel, and the imposing Dunrobin Castle. Just try to forget about the appalling acts carried out in the past by its erstwhile occupant. The train then passes through the flow country with its almost lunar landscape. It's an amazing journey from Inverness, taking the best part of four hours.

Comment

• gamba
                Late member
                • Dec 2010

I filmed this strange rite many years ago - has always seemed a shame the longboat is destroyed as part of the activites. Everyone very good-natured, very few actually drunk although almost all had both feet ' off the ground.'

Comment

Working...
                X