• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
    Is it really necessary to expel a load of chemically darkened smoke into the sky just to tell us that a decision has not been made?

O reason not the need......
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      Yes, well done, amsey!

regular = occurring with normal or healthy frequency (Free Dictionary).
      frequent = habitual or regular (Free Dictionary)

Try telling frenchie. Last time I raised the matter she chose to differ.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        Which wholly justifies it, does it?...
        It's certainly an excellent reason for retention as anyone with just an iota of a sense of tradition might concur.

However, I fail to see why any organisation should have to justify its form of communication to an outsider who patently has little or no interest in it and has any real appreciation of its much-loved centuries-old traditions, even if that outsider be ahinton?

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        But to most people - even including some Catholics - it's neither fascinating nor mysterious.

Ah, you now speak for 'most people' and 'even some Catholics' ...

Well, the TV media is pretty savvy when it comes to what might interest its viewers. It's a pretty safe bet that this historic event is being widely covered on all major news channels throughout the non-communist world, though I suspect it may even be shown in Cuba these days.

Those disinterested/uninterested in such things, or seriously allergic to the sight of a bit of smoke, can change swiftly to a non-news channel or simply step outside for some bracing fresh air!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Try telling frenchie. Last time I raised the matter she chose to differ.
          I wouldn't dare ...

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

There are an awful lot of TV journalists looking very pleased to have a bit of deadlock so they can enjoy the less freezing weather of Rome not to mention its cuisine during their enforced sojourn in the Eternal City...

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

It's certainly an excellent reason for retention as anyone with just an iota of a sense of tradition might concur.
              Busoni (and you probably know already where he came from) had a very jaded view not of "tradition" itself but of certain people's view of "tradition" in which preserving things in aspic irrespective of their deserving such preservation is regarded as paramount.

However, I fail to see why any organisation should have to justify its form of communication to an outsider who patently has little or no interest in it and has any real appreciation of its much-loved centuries-old traditions, even if that outsider be ahinton?
              But I've not asked them to justify it! It'll simply have to stand or fall by its own merits or otherwise (the latter encompassing the Holy See-O2, presumably). That said, it's surely rather hard to accept it in the second decade of the 21st century as the "form of communication" as which you describe it?!

Ah, you now speak for 'most people' and 'even some Catholics' ...
              I don't speak for anyone else, scotty - but do you really believe that the majority of the world's population who are aware of it are either fascinated or take it all that seriously?

Well, the TV media is pretty savvy when it comes to what might interest its viewers. It's a pretty safe bet that this historic event is being widely covered on all major news channels throughout the non-communist world, though I suspect it may even be shown in Cuba these days.
              Oh, quite possibly so - but that doesn't necessarily mean that the smoking gun aspect of it's being regarded as the serious form of communication that you seem to think it is!

Those disinterested/uninterested in such things, or seriously allergic to the sight of a bit of smoke, can change swiftly to a non-news channel or simply step outside for some bracing fresh air!
              Indeed - but at the same time the thought that there's no smoke without fire might worry some who value the Cappella Sistina as a work of art...

Comment

• amateur51

Well, the TV media is pretty savvy when it comes to what might interest its viewers
                . It's a pretty safe bet that this historic event is being widely covered on all major news channels throughout the non-communist world, though I suspect it may even be shown in Cuba these days.

Oh yes a chip pan fire in Peckham or Brenda's trots taking a turn for the worse will soon have holy smoke off the news agenda, I bet
                Last edited by Guest; 13-03-13, 13:40. Reason: holy tidy-up Batman!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  The appearance in our skies of Halley's Comet is regular but not frequent; the appearance of sparrows in my garden is frequent but not regular.
                  'Regular' has a few different meanings. So it depends on which one is used.

'A regular occurrence' generally means to most people that the occurrence happens frequently, not that it necessarily occurs at evenly-divided intervals.

Comment

• amateur51

'A regular occurrence' generally means to most people that the occurrence happens frequently, not that it necessarily occurs at evenly-divided intervals.
                    Not in this house, it doesn't

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

But might that be because your house is a no smoking area in a smokeless zone?

Comment

• amateur51

Some interesting behind-the-scenes analysis from Gavin Hewitt

The key division inside the Conclave is not between liberals and conservatives but over how to run the Church, the BBC's Gavin Hewitt reports.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Your Nain would be disappointed to hear that

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

When I go to buy a coffee and they ask me whether I want a "regular" size I usually say "no i'm not coming here again" or even "I would like an irregular one please"

Comment

• BBMmk2
                              Late Member
                              • Nov 2010

I wonder if this, as reports have said, the next Pope would come outside of Europe? With this Cardinal from South America being outspoken about the Vatican bank and other Cardinals applauding his actions, would this sway to his favour?

Althpugh i said South Americ a, Goodness!!
                              Last edited by BBMmk2; 13-03-13, 21:13.
                              Don’t cry for me
                              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                                When I go to buy a coffee and they ask me whether I want a "regular" size I usually say "no i'm not coming here again" or even "I would like an irregular one please"
                                And here's me thinking you were a regular sort of guy, Mr GG ...

Comment

Working...
                                X