X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

I didn't see it last time I visited.

The stove & chimney are installed because the cardinal are locked in, but presumably it's not the doors to thye chapel that are locked, otherwise they'd need portaloos as well. The stove must be positioned outside the chapel, & the chimney possibly put through a window. Any cardinals on the board who could cast a light on it?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

The stove & chimney are installed because the cardinal are locked in, but presumably it's not the doors to thye chapel that are locked, otherwise they'd need portaloos as well. The stove must be positioned outside the chapel, & the chimney possibly put through a window. Any cardinals on the board who could cast a light on it?
      I cannot divulge on pain of excommunication, Flossie ...

Can we therefore take it from your first sentence that you visit the Vatican regularly ... ?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Where is this "temporary copper chimney" in the roof of the Sistine Chapel in relation to Michelangelo's frescoes? And, come to that, where is the stove? Does anybody know?
        http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...-conclave.html

It doesn't say whether they make a hole through the frescoes.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Hmmm, sounds like another likely cover-up by the Vatican ... ?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
            "Smoking kills", we are often told.

Perhaps Mr Turnage should consider changing the title of one of his works to Three Smoking Popes...
            After a few failed votes, carbon monoxide poisoning is a possibility, but the Sistine Chapel is probably too well ventilated.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              That story seems more suited to a down-market tabloid than the supposedly serious Independent.
              You don't see the intensely funny side of it, Mr Pee?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                How flattering, amsey ... there's really no need to hang around waiting.

Mr GG's latest 'fairy' tale is a sniggering nudge-nudge, wink-wink affair that one might expect from a sixth-form school mag and therefore hardly surprising it features in a dumbed-down broadsheet-turned-tabloid like The Independent.

Meanwhile, back to the awesome reality of a huge historical and pivotal world event playing out before our very eyes. Some of the scenes from St Peter's and the Sistine Chapel were truly stunning

I have to say that the Sky News coverage has been excellent far outclassing the BBC in sensible, intelligent comment from contributors.
                Are you saying that the sauna story is not true, scotty? If you have sound reason to believe that it is not then I suggest that you should contact a solicitor, Keith O'Brien may still have a number or two

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

The Prof must have a contact, surely?

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Hmmm, sounds like another likely cover-up by the Vatican ... ?
                    It's a chance to give the place a good lick of paint. It's been a while, but the last time I was there some vandal had daubed rude pictures all over the ceiling.

Comment

• amateur51

I cannot divulge on pain of excommunication, Flossie ...

Can we therefore take it from your first sentence that you visit the Vatican regularly ... ?
                      Or do you mean frequently?

Comment

• amateur51

Unlike the Telegraph to miss a rivetting detail like that

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                          • Nov 2010

Surely when the BBC gives the names of the 3-4 top candidates....they should also say "other canditates are available on our website", as they do in other elections....
                          bong ching

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Or do you mean frequently?
                            Yes, well done, amsey!

regular = occurring with normal or healthy frequency (Free Dictionary).
                            frequent = habitual or regular (Free Dictionary)

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Not necessary but a centuries-old tradition.
                              Which wholly justifies it, does it?...

A Pope's election wouldn't be nearly as fascinatingly mysterious without those marvellous smoke signals in front of huge crowds. Incomparable real-life theatre.
                              But to most people - even including some Catholics - it's neither fascinating nor mysterious.

Anyway, I wonder if the source of the black smoke is in actuality down to Burning the Vatican Rag but, sadly, it's too late to ask Tom Lehrer now...

Comment

• amateur51

Yes, well done, amsey!

regular = occurring with normal or healthy frequency (Free Dictionary).
                                frequent = habitual or regular (Free Dictionary)

The appearance in our skies of Halley's Comet is regular but not frequent; the appearance of sparrows in my garden is frequent but not regular.

Comment

Working...
                                X