• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Good to see o'Brien's henchpersons () demanding that Stonewall's funding from Scottish Government be cut because they called O'Brien "a bigot". - what price "the sort of generosity, tolerance and love we would wish to see more of in this world" eh Ruth Davidson, who as a lesbian Tory must be used to dealing with inner conflict
      I wonder when First Minister Salmond will extend a public apology to Stonewall Scotland? After all, their calling O'Brien a bigot was spot-on

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Feeble performance by Cormac Murphy O'Connor on "Today" - old age the only possible excuse, he just doesn't get it. A very reasonable interview by John Humphrys.

Amazing vox pop on the TV news last night - young-ish woman on the street in Edinburgh refused to believe it re K O'B, even though the man said it himself

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
          Feeble performance by Cormac Murphy O'Connor on "Today" - old age the only possible excuse, he just doesn't get it. A very reasonable interview by John Humphrys.

Amazing vox pop on the TV news last night - young-ish woman on the street in Edinburgh refused to believe it re K O'B, even though the man said it himself
          Lefty/liberal/atheist/gay conspiracy, innit...

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Lefty/liberal/atheist/gay conspiracy, innit...
            Of course what else do you expect from the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation .....

I also was amazed at that incredibly gullible woman in Edinburgh

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Of course what else do you expect from the Bolshevik Broadcasting Corporation .....

There was another, too... in Rome...

If there is any truth about "original sin", it seems to reside in the capacity of humans to look uncritically up to authority and obey, especially when in uniform.

But, since neither Adam nor Eve were born in uniform, that must be wrong too...

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Eve was tempted by a Pork Pie!!....<Adam fed up with spare ribs>
                bong ching

Comment

• Julien Sorel

I guess she wasn't expecting to have a microphone directed towards her; didn't the interviewer approach her immediately after Cardinal O'Brien's statement was read out at Mass? In which case hers might have been an immediate emotional response, she might not have wanted to give a response but couldn't on the spur of the moment think of a way of getting away, or it might have been a closing of ranks: it's not as if Scotland doesn't have a history of sectarianism. Just some other possibilities, rather than simple gullibility.

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
                    Just some other possibilities, rather than simple gullibility.
                    Thank you for that, JS.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
                      Thank you for that, JS.
                      ?

The woman on TV was expressing the view that it was all made up nonsense and that somehow it will all work out fine for the church
                      which seems to fly in the face of the facts IMV
                      though if one can believe in some of the nonsense that these folks do I guess anythings possible (but highly unlikely)

Comment

• Julien Sorel

?

The woman on TV was expressing the view that it was all made up nonsense and that somehow it will all work out fine for the church
                        which seems to fly in the face of the facts IMV
                        though if one can believe in some of the nonsense that these folks do I guess anythings possible (but highly unlikely)
                        She'd just heard something read out that would clearly have had an adverse emotional effect on her. When people first hear bad news it's a not unusual reaction to deny it. I doubt, when she left Mass (which I think is when she was interviewed) she expected a BBC reporter to point a microphone at her and ask for her reaction. I doubt it was uppermost in her mind: 'oh dear - I must sort out a statement for the BBC'. She may well have preferred to say nothing, but was taken by surprise. Or she may have been displaying - yes, unthinking - loyalty. Scotland has a history of sectarianism which would explain why the first reaction of a Scottish Catholic might be to deny anything damaging to the Scottish Catholic Church.

But my main observation is - none of the people spoken to (I saw three) had prepared a statement. They were reacting to the sudden appearance / intrusion of a TV journalist & a camera crew. So maybe they are still so certain, maybe they aren't. But it wasn't a situation which allowed for reflection or space or time to think.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                          .....the capacity of humans to look uncritically up to authority and obey, especially when in uniform.

Spot on, SA

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                            Spot on, SA

I'm sure that RM is always uncritically obedient around traffic wardens

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
                              She'd just heard something read out that would clearly have had an adverse emotional effect on her.
                              It couldn't have been that much of a surprise, surely - the Observer had published the original allegations at least a week ago, & O'Brien had been sacked/told to go early by the Pope. Last Sunday's developments were simply confirmation.

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                                It couldn't have been that much of a surprise, surely - the Observer had published the original allegations at least a week ago, & O'Brien had been sacked/told to go early by the Pope. Last Sunday's developments were simply confirmation.
                                Maybe not - but it's not a common occurrence, having a news reporter and a camera crew approach you and ask you for a comment. Not for most people, anyway. And someone with a strong emotional investment in something will hope against hope. I also wonder what other responses, if any, there were to questions asked by the reporter. Did only three members of the congregation speak to him? Did others say something different?

Comment

Working...
                                X