I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      Looks like Benny's Boss ain't happy ...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21421810
      Yes, it made a very striking photograph on the front page of today's Guardian.

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        what happens if a Pope becomes afflicted with dementia, can the Cardinals declare his tenure over and bundle him off on the grounds of diminished responsibility
        According to The Guardian (so it must be true ) Celestine V was the first (& last Pope until now) to have resigned voluntarily, in 1294 (after serving 5 months). The others were all forced, more or less: Benedict IX's resignation in 1054 was engineered by Gregory VI after the former's reign had been beset by financial scandals, but then Gregory had to resign in 1055, accused of benefitting financially from Benedict's resignation. Gregory XII was more or less forced to resign in 1415 to end the 'Western schism' over the Avignon Papacy.

So there is precedent for a Pope being removed, rather than deciding to resign.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Perhaps in such a case the cardinals could appoint a Lord Protector?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
            Perhaps in such a case the cardinals could appoint a Lord Protector?
            I believe that Lord Prescott of Fingerbuffet is in search of a roll - I mean, a role

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
              According to The Guardian (so it must be true ) Celestine V was the first (& last Pope until now) to have resigned voluntarily, in 1294 (after serving 5 months). The others were all forced, more or less: Benedict IX's resignation in 1054 was engineered by Gregory VI after the former's reign had been beset by financial scandals, but then Gregory had to resign in 1055, accused of benefitting financially from Benedict's resignation. Gregory XII was more or less forced to resign in 1415 to end the 'Western schism' over the Avignon Papacy.

So there is precedent for a Pope being removed, rather than deciding to resign.
              I don't know how one goes about organising such a Facebook thingo but please please please can we organise an e-petition to demand that the next Pope, whoever he may be, takes the name of Celestine VI - a heavenly body indeed
              Last edited by Guest; 12-02-13, 20:28. Reason: trypo

Comment

• Pikaia

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                Yes MrGG!

How can the Catholic Church consider itself a forgiving church, when it doesnt forgive people whose marriages,, end in divorce?
                I think Dawkins is jealous because the pope converted even more people to atheism than he did!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                  I believe that Lord Prescott of Fingerbuffet is in search of a roll - I mean, a role

e.g. "The objectives remain the same and indeed that has been made clear by the Almighty that the objectives are clear and the one about the removal of other faiths is not something we have as a clear objective to implement but it is possible a consequence that will flow and the Gospel made it absolutely clear that anyone that finds them in that position declares themselves an enemy and that clearly is a matter for these objectives. Oh, and errm, Urbi et Orbi and that kind of thing..."
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pikaia View Post
                    I think Dawkins is jealous because the pope converted even more people to atheism than he did!
                    Nice to see a touch of the old acid from a relatively new member, Pikaia

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

e.g. "The objectives remain the same and indeed that has been made clear by the Almighty that the objectives are clear and the one about the removal of other faiths is not something we have as a clear objective to implement but it is possible a consequence that will flow and the Gospel made it absolutely clear that anyone that finds them in that position declares themselves an enemy and that clearly is a matter for these objectives. Oh, and errm, Urbi et Orbi and that kind of thing..."
                      "It'd take some posh boy from some fancy dan university to stick his oar in about all this I'm not bitter oh dear me no I know which side my butter's breaded on are those sangwidges fresh love?"

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

Gosh I wish the Pope would resign more often ....such fun....and Celtic on the box tonite as well....Now that's what I call a Holy Sea [sic]....
                        bong ching

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Is this thread now on or off topic? hard to tell.

If I was a season ticket holder at Aetheism United, I would want Dawkins sent out on a free transfer.
                          Last edited by teamsaint; 12-02-13, 23:30.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Is this thread now on or off topic? hard to tell.
                            Point taken! See new 'Hostelries' thread in the Refreshment Room
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                              Can anyone think whom might succeed?
                              Go to Paddy Power and get your money on O'Brien at 33/1, Bbm ... I'm telling you, it's an absolute steal ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                                I don't know how one goes about organising such a Facebook thingo but please please please can we organise an e-petition to demand that the next Pope, whoever he may be, takes the name of Celestine VI - a heavenly body indeed
                                Oh yes, especially as Celestine V didn't want to be Pope - after reluctantly agreeing he resigned 5 months later & returned to his life as a hermit.

Comment

Working...
                                X