X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EdgeleyRob
    • Nov 2010

Very sad news.
    The present crop of Radio 3 presenters couldn't hold a candle to this wonderful broadcaster.

RIP.

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

Patricia Hughes was a fine announcer, and it's sad to hear of her passing. But she was very much of her time. Indeed it could be said that her style, in comparison with that of her colleagues, was already somewhat outdated before she retired. She would sound hopelessly out of place today, and would only add to the still hard-to-remove perception among too many that Radio 3 is forbidding and patrician and only for the musically highly educated. Apart from that, most of today's R3 presenters are expected to have the musical knowledge to be able to write their own scripts - something that many, perhaps most, of PH's generation of announcers wouldn't have been able to do.

So by all means let's mourn the passing of a great BBC voice of the past, but we shouldn't imagine that we could or should go back to her style of presentation.

Comment

• Vile Consort
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by RobertLeDiable View Post
        ... most of today's R3 presenters are expected to have the musical knowledge to be able to write their own scripts - something that many, perhaps most, of PH's generation of announcers wouldn't have been able to do.
        I don't think that is true at all. In fact, I think the reverse is the case.

I used to have a recording of a programme of organ music on Radio Three that I must have made in the seventies. I forget who the announcer was - Peter Barker possibly. There had been a technical hitch, in that the programme had escaped being edited properly, and we were treated to the announcer's umms and errs and - in particular - to him making the announcement up as he went along, including stopping at one point and muttering "no, that's not quite what I want to say" and having another go. Clearly not scripted at all!

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          probably a stupid question, but what happened to those lunchtime concerts from St John's Smith Square ?
          Didn't the Wigmore steal them?

Comment

• RobertLeDiable

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
            I don't think that is true at all. In fact, I think the reverse is the case.

I used to have a recording of a programme of organ music on Radio Three that I must have made in the seventies. I forget who the announcer was - Peter Barker possibly. There had been a technical hitch, in that the programme had escaped being edited properly, and we were treated to the announcer's umms and errs and - in particular - to him making the announcement up as he went along, including stopping at one point and muttering "no, that's not quite what I want to say" and having another go. Clearly not scripted at all!
            You seem to have misunderstood me. I said that the announcers in those days were mostly not musically trained and wouldn't have been able to write their own scripts, whereas today they mostly are and they do. Peter Barker, I think, was an ex-actor, and an example of what I mean. It's not surprising that he wasn't able to ad lib when necessary, since his knowledge of the music he was presenting probably wasn't great. I think I'm right in saying that in his and Patricia Hughes's day, their scripts were written for them by an expert 'script unit'.

Comment

• Colonel Danby
              • Nov 2010

I was very sad to hear the news of the death of Patricia Hughes: she gently guided me into the deep waters of classical music in the early 80s on the Third, and I will be ever grateful for her wonderful delivery and knowledge.

RIP Patricia

Comment

• Catherine Bott
                • Mar 2012

I grew up listening to Patricia Hughes and her generation, and once saw her in action at SJSS, live on a Monday lunchtime: the Amadeus with William Pleeth in the Schubert quintet. Two imperishable memories of that concert:
                1. her aplomb when dealing with the unforeseen (Norbert Brainin broke a string towards the end of the performance) which made me decide that, if ever I should do any announcing on the radio, I should do my utmost to model myself on her
                and
                2. The irresistibly chic blend of smart coat and skirt and (glimpsed only under a too-short tablecloth - we don't have those any more) a nifty pair of ankle boots.

I managed to work a spontaneous and admiring name-check for her into the end of last night's Live in Concert from the Wigmore, and on Twitter this morning urged R3 to celebrate her publishing connections with unique and tragic pop genius Joe Meek. Woman with posh voice has capacity to surprise, just fancy....

RIP Patricia Hughes, and thankyou.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Catherine Bott View Post
                  I grew up listening to Patricia Hughes and her generation, and once saw her in action at SJSS, live on a Monday lunchtime: the Amadeus with William Pleeth in the Schubert quintet. Two imperishable memories of that concert:
                  1. her aplomb when dealing with the unforeseen (Norbert Brainin broke a string towards the end of the performance) which made me decide that, if ever I should do any announcing on the radio, I should do my utmost to model myself on her
                  and
                  2. The irresistibly chic blend of smart coat and skirt and (glimpsed only under a too-short tablecloth - we don't have those any more) a nifty pair of ankle boots.

I managed to work a spontaneous and admiring name-check for her into the end of last night's Live in Concert from the Wigmore, and on Twitter this morning urged R3 to celebrate her publishing connections with unique and tragic pop genius Joe Meek. Woman with posh voice has capacity to surprise, just fancy....

RIP Patricia Hughes, and thankyou.
                  Yes indeed CB - Joe Meek!

Who'da thunk it? Patricia Hughes and Holloway Road London N7 don't seem to be a natural pairing somehow

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• handsomefortune

rip - (although i wasn't actually aware of patricia hughes, but must remember to catch up when i have time).

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                      • Mar 2007

I've uploaded the announcements from MickyD's minidisc here.

There was an obituary on 'Last Word' on R4 yesterday. It's on iplayer here, or the podcast is here.

The relevant part is at about 19 minutes in.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                        I've uploaded the announcements from MickyD's minidisc here.

There was an obituary on 'Last Word' on R4 yesterday. It's on iplayer here, or the podcast is here.

Many thanks Andrew & MickyD

Comment

• hmvman
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post

It was lovely to hear PH's delicious tones on those little snippets they played - brought back many memories of R3 listening! It was interesting that her daughter admitted to disliking hearing her mother's voice on the radio and still has difficulties with it.

Comment

Working...
                          X