• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Patricia Hughes RIP

Just caught Martin Handley announce Patricia Houghes’s death last night. Martin played a recording of PH telling about the morning she had to rush out to read the news ‘without putting makeup or clothes on…’, the recording ends with PH saying that ‘as long as Radio3 or whatever it is called exists, the world is fine (or to that effect, I thought)’. It was at about 7.35

RIP.
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

I caught the tale end of that. And was'nt sure what was going on and the thought did pass me about had she passed away. Now i know, so very sad tpo hear. One of the best R3 presenters in her time and in the days when i was getting to know what treasureslay in store for me. A very friendly voicve on R3. Musch missed. RIP
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

I think that audio clip is part of a collection
      Stories from listeners and contributors about their experience of listening to the Third Programme

[I can't guarantee that it still works though]

Comment

• MickyD
        • Nov 2010

I am terribly sad to learn of this. I treasure the memories of her luxurious voice and cannot imagine we will hear the like of her again...certainly not on Radio 3 in its present form.

Comment

• Hornspieler
          Late Member
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
          I caught the tale end of that. And was'nt sure what was going on and the thought did pass me about had she passed away. Now i know, so very sad tpo hear. One of the best R3 presenters in her time and in the days when i was getting to know what treasureslay in store for me. A very friendly voicve on R3. Musch missed. RIP
          Yes, BBM. Very sad news indeed. If only today's presenters would listen to some of those early Radio 3 broadcasts to see how it should be done.

Hornspieler

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I'm very sorry to hear this news. My Third Programme/R3 listening goes back so far that I am getting confused with the two o r three women who have recently announced their retirement from R3 or 4 I should have played the clip first as I am sure I will remember her instantly

Condolences to her family and RIP Patricia. Where are the women with the warm, clear voices of the past?

RIP PH

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

How he BBC has reported it. Another era.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Vile Consort
                • Nov 2010

Salymap, a woman in her fifties wouldn't be allowed anywhere near a microphone these days. It's all about da yoof innit.

Comment

• amateur51

Indeed, the passing of an era.

I saw her only once, introducing a lunchtime concert at St George's Brandon Hill in Bristol and I was delighted that she looked exactly as she sounded, in my imagination.

She always seemed to be calm and collected, gently but firmly in control. It came as a shock therefore one mid-morning when she was introducing a programme of work by Kurt Weill. All went well until the very last moment "..and so here is Edo de Waart to conduct music by Kurt Wiell - WEILL!"

A national treasure has gone and I will always treasure her memory with grateful thanks

Comment

• JimD
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mercia View Post
                    I think that audio clip is part of a collection
                    Stories from listeners and contributors about their experience of listening to the Third Programme

[I can't guarantee that it still works though]
                    Hello Mercia. I'd like to listen to this but can't find software that will play it. Any ideas? It has the file type .ram

Comment

• mercia
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                      Hello Mercia. I'd like to listen to this but can't find software that will play it. Any ideas? It has the file type .ram
                      a window opened telling me I needed RealPlayer, which if you download the "basic" version is free of charge
                      Welcome to the home of RealPlayer�, a media player app by RealNetworks�. Features include a video downloader, audio recording, and CD ripping. Official Site.

[it downloaded fine for me, even though I don't use Chrome]
                      Last edited by mercia; 09-02-13, 11:40.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                        • Mar 2007

Sad news indeed.

I've posted a recording of part of a R3 9am news bulletin in 1979 read by Patricia Hughes.

Sorry, the file has been removed for some reason by Mediafire. I'll email a copy to anyone who wants one and sends me a PM.
                        Last edited by Andrew Slater; 09-02-13, 18:25.

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Andrew Slater View Post
                          Sad news indeed.

I've posted a recording of part of a R3 9am news bulletin in 1979 read by Patricia Hughes here.
                          Correct link, AS? I'm getting 'Invalid File'
                          Last edited by Andrew Slater; 09-02-13, 12:29.
                          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Just looked up H Carpenter The Envy of the World - talking about the St John's Smith Square concerts that she always introduced -

Cormac Rigby describes her as the most successful of all women announcers - her personality is a combination of dignity and friendliness...
                            Amusing passage on p. 274, when the Controller said

"My dear Cormac, you have to get rid of that terrible woman with the Kensington voice". And I realised he meant Patricia, who was the most popular individual member of my announcing team, and I said "You must be joking."....Hearst himself confirms that he soon came to admire her greatly....

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

I'm getting 'Invalid File' also.However I managed the clip of PH talking about the sudden call from the News Room. What a great story and a lovely voice.

Comment

Working...
                              X