X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Oct 2024

Cameron hails EU budget cut agreement as 'good deal for UK and Europe'

David Cameron has hailed a deal which will see the first ever real-terms cut in the European Union's budget as "good for the UK and good for Europe".

After two days of talks, leaders agreed on a 908bn euros (£768bn) budget limit for 2014 to 2020 - about 3% lower than the current seven-year period.

David Cameron hails a deal which will see the first-ever real-terms cut in the EU's budget as "good for the UK and good for Europe".

However the proposal has to be agreed by the European Parliament, which is by no means certain
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    David Cameron has hailed a deal which will see the first ever real-terms cut in the European Union's budget as "good for the UK and good for Europe".

After two days of talks, leaders agreed on a 908bn euros (£768bn) budget limit for 2014 to 2020 - about 3% lower than the current seven-year period.

David Cameron hails a deal which will see the first-ever real-terms cut in the EU's budget as "good for the UK and good for Europe".

However the proposal has to be agreed by the European Parliament, which is by no means certain
    Yes it could well be vetoed by Strasbourg.

Cameron's news conference this afternoon was practically one long boast about what HE had achieved,

I suspect it had a lot more to do with the fact that Angela Merkel had a similar goal to cut the budget rather than the leader of a country threatening possible withdrawal. Now that Nicolas has gone the chemistry between Angela and François is not quite the same so David has grabbed his chance to now properly tango with his European soul-mate, Angela. One must give him some credit for seizing this golden opportunity to find common ground with Berlin, the real powerhouse of Europe.

However, other European leaders might well see Dave as simply the oil-rag pretending to be the engineer.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      Yes it could well be vetoed by Strasbourg.

Cameron's news conference this afternoon was practically one long boast about what HE had achieved,

I suspect it had a lot more to do with the fact that Angela Merkel had a similar goal to cut the budget rather than the leader of a country threatening possible withdrawal. Now that Nicolas has gone the chemistry between Angela and François is not quite the same so David has grabbed his chance to now properly tango with his European soul-mate, Angela. One must give him some credit for seizing this golden opportunity to find common ground with Berlin, the real powerhouse of Europe.

However, other European leaders might well see Dave as simply the oil-rag pretending to be the engineer.
      Splitting an infinitive is one thng, scotty - hacking it to death is quite another

Comment

• scottycelt

Splitting an infinitive is one thng, scotty - hacking it to death is quite another
        Splitting an infinitive never bothered me at school so it's most unlikely to do so here, amsey ...

In any case, I was just being kind as your thread looked a bit ignored and neglected ...

Comment

• amateur51

Splitting an infinitive never bothered me at school so it's most unlikely to do so here, amsey ...

In any case, I was just being kind as your thread looked a bit ignored and neglected ...
          I bet you say that to all the boys, scotty

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

That could be the name of a pub. "The Neglected Thread".

Comment

• Ferretfancy
              • Nov 2010

According to the news this evening, while the total EU budget may fall, Britain will actually pay a bit more.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                According to the news this evening, while the total EU budget may fall, Britain will actually pay a bit more.
                Sssh Ferret - Dave would prefer it if you didn't mention that

Comment

Working...
                X