X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Politics and power struggles, what's love got to do with it, just a second hand emotion
    and you have the nerve to complain about my crap taste in music mwah

Comment

• amateur51

The former head of the British Army, independent crossbench peer Lord Dannatt, used his speech during the debate in the House of Lords yesterday, to attack the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, saying its process was “an abuse”, and saying that it went against what he “spent 40 years of his professional life upholding”.

The former head of the British Army, independent crossbench peer Lord Dannatt, used his speech during the debate in the House of Lords yesterday, to attack the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill.

So, no gay soldiers under your command in the army eh, Lord Dannatt?

Does that name sound familiar? Why yes, in another life he was Chief of the General Staff, Sir Richard Dannatt and he's now General The Lord Dannatt GCB CBE MC DL, President of Help for Heroes.

Of course, it's the apparent fast-tracking of the Bill through Parliament that concerns Baron Dannatt

Of course
      Last edited by Guest; 04-06-13, 15:51. Reason: trypos

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

I think that a spell in the Army will make the youngsters "grow out of it" don't you ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
          The former head of the British Army, independent crossbench peer Lord Dannatt, used his speech during the debate in the House of Lords yesterday, to attack the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, saying its process was “an abuse”, and saying that it went against what he “spent 40 years of his professional life upholding”.
          & what exactly was that - killing people?

Comment

• amateur51

Just in ...

"Peers have voted by more than two to one to back government plans for same-sex marriages in England and Wales.The House of Lords spent two days debating the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, with many members voicing their concerns.

But it rejected an amendment aimed at wrecking the bill by 242 votes, moving it a step closer to becoming law."

Peers vote by a majority of more than two to one to back government plans for same-sex marriages in England and Wales.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Just in ...

"Peers have voted by more than two to one to back government plans for same-sex marriages in England and Wales.The House of Lords spent two days debating the Marriage (Same Sex Couples) Bill, with many members voicing their concerns.

But it rejected an amendment aimed at wrecking the bill by 242 votes, moving it a step closer to becoming law."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-22764954
              So you'll be getting married soon?* Or is it just the politics of revenge?

*Hope I get an invite, I'm only round the corner from you

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                • Nov 2010

Michael (now Lord) Berkeley spoke in favour of equal marriage, referring to the criminalised relationship of his godfather Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears. Good for him.

Comment

• amateur51

*Hope I get an invite, I'm only round the corner from you
                  You've mentioned this 'revenge' business before Beefy. What's wrong with revenge in this context? - you get to wind up ALL the Faith groups AND the Tories - talk about irresistible!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
                    Michael (now Lord) Berkeley spoke in favour of equal marriage, referring to the criminalised relationship of his godfather Benjamin Britten and Peter Pears. Good for him.
                    Many thanks for this Mary - I hope they'd be proud of him. I know I am

Comment

• Beef Oven

You've mentioned this 'revenge' business before Beefy. What's wrong with revenge in this context? - you get to wind up ALL the Faith groups AND the Tories - talk about irresistible!
                      So do I get an invite? I'm a very generous present-giver.

Comment

• amateur51

So do I get an invite? I'm a very generous present-giver.
                        I'll put it to the Committee

Comment

• Beef Oven

You don't need SSM to decriminalise people! It was quite rightly decriminalised yonks ago!

Btw, it's SSM, not equal marriage. Equal marriage is CP.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
                            • Nov 2010

You don't need SSM to decriminalise people! It was quite rightly decriminalised yonks ago!

Btw, it's SSM, not equal marriage. Equal marriage is CP.
                            Not sure I follow your second point, but I'm no expert. I don't know exactly what he said about BB and PP, just that he brought them into it, presumably as an example of a couple whose relationship wasn't legal for most of their lives together, and who obviously should have been married. BB refers to it as a marriage in his letters.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Not sure I follow your second point, but I'm no expert. I don't know exactly what he said about BB and PP, just that he brought them into it, presumably as an example of a couple whose relationship wasn't legal for most of their lives together, and who obviously should have been married. BB refers to it as a marriage in his letters.
                              It is terribly sad when you think about what BB & PP had to endure (that's to say nothing of ordinary people in the same boat).

I'm so glad we put things right with Civil Partnership

Comment

• Flosshilde
                                • Nov 2010

No - same-sex marriage is 'putting it right'. Civil Partnerships aren't recognised in many countries, so people in a CP wouldn't have the same rights as married people would.

but you really don't get it, do you?

Comment

Working...
                                X