X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Don't be surprised, this the Radio 3 Forum - most unrepresentative of the population at large
    unlike ........ no no let's not go there

how about Merzbow for Pope ?

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
      unlike ........ no no let's not go there

how about Merzbow for Pope ?
      Not interested in Popes very much, I'm a Protestant Agnostic Christian

Comment

• scottycelt

Alexander Pope was a very fine fellow, I'll have you know ... if he was around these days he'd have been admitted free to Old Trafford ...

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          scottycelt

I remember in Malta, standing in the street when the Corpus Christie procession passed by, as thousands of people fell on their faces while my friends and I stood there bewildered at what can only be called idolatry. I have also witnessed the queues to place requests on the nearly worn out toe of the statue of St Anthony in Padua, and many other absurdities.

As everywhere in the world, the poor and uneducated are not led by the Church to make any real distinction in their minds between symbol and reality, it is not in the Vatican's interest to discourage superstition, since it reinforces its power over the ignorant.
          I, too, have seen similar behaviour in Malta.

But an abiding memory is of the Faithful flocking into the centre of Lima to attend some important occasion in the Church calendar. The more smartly-dressed bought 10 Soles candles at the bottom of the long flight of steps to the cathedral doors and walked up with some dignity. The peasantry who hardly could afford the 1 Soles candles were required to make the ascent on hands and knees.

I do not expect anything to have changed in the half-century that this disgusting spectacle has haunted me.

Comment

• Pabmusic
            • May 2011

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            ...The Government doesn't 'own marriage' either. The Church has a far greater interest in the meaning of the institution than most...
            We've been here before (post 58, for instance).

Of course the government doesn't own marriage, except that the only definition of a legal marriage in the UK is that given by various acts of Parliament. It certainly isn't one given by the Church (and, given our history, not by the Catholic Church). Since 1836, legal marriage has been wholly secular. Different faiths have their own traditions, but none of them results in a legal marriage without compliance with the 1836 Act.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

not even this one
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                not even this one
                Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• amateur51

Daily Mail carries a piece about police receiving a formal complaint yesterday against the disgraced cardinal

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                    Daily Mail carries a piece about police receiving a formal complaint yesterday against the disgraced cardinal
                    Never mind that.

The real shock here is that apparently Amsy reads the Daily Mail.

Perhaps there is some hope after all.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                      • Nov 2010

Perhaps like me, amateur 51 sometimes picks a Mail up on the tube! ( Sorreeee!!)

Comment

• scottycelt

Perhaps like me, amateur 51 sometimes picks a Mail up on the tube! ( Sorreeee!!)
                        I'd imagine the same could well be true with Flossie & the Scotsman on the Glasgow equivalent ... sign of the Times, tbh.

Maybe that's why my current Guardian always insists that I travel by Express bus or train ?

That's another reason I could tell her why I think she's a right little Star!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                          Never mind that.

The real shock here is that apparently Amsy reads the Daily Mail.

Perhaps there is some hope after all.
                          Think of it as reconnaissance behind enemy lines.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Ferret, is that the right spelling ?

(venturing into Julian & Sandy territory)

(Actually, if I do pick up a M A I L on the tube (or bus or train) I usually quickly drop it again & wash my hands)
                            Last edited by Flosshilde; 09-03-13, 11:04.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                              Think of it as reconnaissance behind enemy lines.
                              Spot on Flossie - I always like to know what they're thinking - and on the computer I don't have to contribute to Associated Newspapers' income stream, thank goodness
                              Last edited by Guest; 09-03-13, 10:57. Reason: Assoc Newspapers bit

Comment

• Mr Pee
                                • Nov 2010

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                                X