This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Back on topic, I wonder how much the UKIP protest vote at Eastleigh had to do with issues like 'gay marriage' ... ?

I find it difficult to believe it was due to a sudden upsurge in anti-Europeanism especially as we are now promised an 'in-out' referendum.

Cameron has only himself to blame for this result after coming out with intelligence-insulting, two-faced tosh like ... 'I believe in 'gay marriage' because I am a Conservative'.

He thoroughly deserves this "kicking", imo, even if it sticks in the scottycelt craw that it had to be UKIP which administered it.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
      Back on topic, I wonder how much the UKIP protest vote at Eastleigh had to do with issues like 'gay marriage' ... ?

I find it difficult to believe it was due to a sudden upsurge in anti-Europeanism especially as we are now promised an 'in-out' referendum.

Cameron has only himself to blame for this result after coming out with intelligence-insulting, two-faced tosh like ... 'I believe in 'gay marriage' because I am a Conservative'.

He thoroughly deserves this "kicking", imo, even if it sticks in the scottycelt craw that it had to be UKIP which administered it.
      Ah, so when it comes down to it, though it may stick in the scottycelt craw, you don't really mind that much who you get into bed with, eh?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

scotty
        Since opinion polls indicate that more than 60% of the population are in favour of gay marriage, and legislation is already on its way through Parliament, I hardly think that it was likely to have been prominent in the Eastleigh campaign. Of course, it hasn't gone to the Lords yet, so there's still time for a 'support your local bishop' initiative.
        Local issues were prominent at Eastleigh, together with the usual tendency at by elections to give the government a kick.

I do think though, that the gay marriage bill has been clumsily drafted, with the clause banning both the C of E and the Catholic Churches from taking part added on almost as an apologetic afterthought.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I am not quite sure what an issue 'like' gay marriage might be, but I am fairly certain (depressingly) that it's tabloid scaremongering about immigration and the EU that gets UKIP these results.

Nobody's bothered about gay marriage

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
            If you ever find yourself touching a woman colleague in a way you would not touch a man (unless you're both gay), you know you're on the wrong side of the line.

It's not that difficult. It never was.
            Sound advice, jean

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
              Hello, Scotty. I've been laid low for a couple of days with a tropical 'thing' (not Mrs. Pab - I mean a virus or some other disorder that hates any liquid to stay inside the body). Thing is, it came on almost immediately after I'd upbraided you for using logical fallacies. It was clearly a supernatural occurrence - someone is watching over you.

I suppose I should now admit that everything you've said is right.

But...

Somehow...

I can't.

I'm feeling OK now (though a little empty - my mother would say 'leery').
              Very sorry to hear about your local difficulties Pabs - sounds nasty. I trust that all is restored and the Inner Man is settled

Comment

• Pabmusic
                • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                Very sorry to hear about your local difficulties Pabs - sounds nasty. I trust that all is restored and the Inner Man is settled
                You get used to it, Ams - I'm fine (-ish) now, thanks. (Alka Seltzer!)

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                  You get used to it, Ams - I'm fine (-ish) now, thanks. (Alka Seltzer!)
                  Ah what me mam used to call 'a bilious attack', eh?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by jean View Post
                    Nobody's bothered about gay marriage
                    That is patently untrue.

Gove said much the same thing on the radio this morning yet more Tory MPs voted "against" than "for" 'gay marriage'. They know the views of their constituents better than anyone so does the man think we are all imbeciles?

The tabloids have been scaremongering about immigration and the EU for years without providing any great benefit to UKIP ...
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-03-13, 10:45. Reason: typo

Comment

• amateur51

That is patently untrue.

Gove said much the same thing on the radio this morning yet more Tory MPs voted "against" than "for" 'gay marriage'. They knows the views of their constituents better than anyone so does the man think we are all imbeciles?

The tabloids have been scaremongering about immigration and the EU for years without providing any great benefit to UKIP ...
                      Gosh that's a tempting target but my need for breakfast is greater than my need for a cheap shot about the Tories

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        Gosh that's a tempting target but my need for breakfast is greater than my need for a cheap shot about the Tories
                        Have your breakfast then get out the Purdey

(except that's hardly a "cheap" shot )

It's a bit sad that people seem to think that it's ok to vote for a party which is facilitating dysfunctional behaviour

but there again i'd have been a "spoilt" paper as there really is no one to vote for ......

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

That is patently untrue.
                          It is indeed untrue that no one is bothered about gay marriage; if it were true, the legislation would not even have been drafted, let alone debated in Parliament.

Gove said much the same thing on the radio this morning yet more Tory MPs voted "against" than "for" 'gay marriage'. They knows the views of their constituents better than anyone so does the man think we are all imbeciles?
                          I have no idea and don't particularly care whether or not he might think any or all of the electorate to be imbeciles, since his thoughts, if any, on such a subject would in no wise affect the drafting, passing or implementation of any legislation whatsoever. That said, the fact that more Tory MPs voted against the legislation on gay marriage than for it is of relevance only to the extent of the proportion of Tories that make up the House of Commons which, as there has had to be a Coalition since the last General Election, is clearly not even a majority; all that matters here is that more MPs voted for the legislation than against it and the only relevance of the Tory party in this is that the legislation has been drafted and debated in Parliament at a time when the Tories are the principal party of government.

What's that got to do with gay marriage? And, for that matter, what's it got to do with anything, given that UKIP, notwithstanding its considerable success in Eastleigh yesterday, doesn't even have a single seat in Parliament at present and the journey from that position to one in which it could in future form a majority government would surely have to be measured in light years rather than kilometres. Speaking of Eastleigh, incidentally, I note with some interest that the Beer, Baccy and Crumpet Party candidate polled 235 votes (0.56%) but that of the Christian Party a mere 163 (0.39%); whilst it also has no relevance to gay marriage, might I ask what you make of that, scotty?...
                          Last edited by ahinton; 01-03-13, 11:15.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            Ah, so when it comes down to it, though it may stick in the scottycelt craw, you don't really mind that much who you get into bed with, eh?
                            I wouldn't push that one too far ...

Poor Bryn has now found himself in the same bed as Cameron & Gove.

Sweet dreams ...

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

I wouldn't push that one too far ...

Poor Bryn has now found himself in the same bed as Cameron & Gove.
                              Whilst I have neither any idea nor any wish to know how far you could push a bed, scotty, I respectfully suggest that your statement here about Bryn might be just a little lacking in accuracy...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                                It is indeed untrue that no on is bothered about gay marriage.
                                Well, that's an unusually promising start, I suppose ...

What's that got to do with gay marriage?
                                What are you asking me for?

Ask Jean!

I note with some interest that the Beer, Baccy and Crumpet Party candidate polled 235 votes (0.56%) but that of the Christian Party a mere 163 (0.39%); whilst it also has no relevance to gay marriage, might I ask what you make of that, scotty?...
                                As you, yourself, say it has no relevance to 'gay marriage' then I readily confess that I am at quite a serious loss as to exactly what to make of it, ahinton ...

Comment

Working...
                                X