X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Like ams I believe that the existence of such a thing adds much to the gaiety of the world. Is it where you go before you are qualified to attend the University of Life?
    And is scotty the bursar? I think we should be told

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
      When it's pointed out that same sex marriage supporters support universal Civil Partnerships...
      Some do, some don't for reasons I've given here several times.

Don't oversimplify.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post

Don't oversimplify.
        Peter Tatchell, the most prominent advocate and thus the most reviled, certainly does.

Comment

• scottycelt

So I presume all Catholics who ignore the Church in that way should do the proper thing and quit the Church. In your view, that is
          Well that's what I would do and I can only speak for myself ...

As far as I know, you are the first member here to accuse me of being deliberately misleading. Judging by the hostile responses I get from others they do not share your perception. If they do why are they so hostile? They appear to know exactly what I'm saying!

My views (for what they are worth) are certainly meant to be perfectly plain for all to observe and agree or challenge as they see fit. I am not averse to introducing a tiny bit of humour into any serious debate. That can sometimes assist in ensuring that the debate doesn't get too personal.

I'm sorry that this now appears to have been somewhat less than successful in your own particular case.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
            As far as I know, you are the first member here to accuse me of being deliberately misleading.
            Oh no he's not! I have, for one, which is why I've (more or less) given up putting any arguments to you - you simply wriggle out or responding to them. I'm pretty sure others have found you to be devious & obtuse.

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Excuse me. I wrote: "When it's pointed out that same sex marriage supporters support universal Civil Partnerships ...."

I didn't write "When it's pointed out that all same sex marriage supporters support universal Civil Partnerships ...."

Don't oversimplify.
              Try reading what someone has actually written before you issue terse orders on a message board.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post

Mr Pee: You're all idiots, and probably filthy immigrants to boot.
                I must say, that's a bit harsh. I'm sure you aren't ALL filthy immigrants.

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                  others have found you to be devious & obtuse
                  Is the pope a catholic?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                    Is the pope a catholic?
                    Is the pope a Christian ?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                      Is the pope a Christian ?
                      Yes, the Pope is the leader of the Catholic Church, the largest Christian denomination..Catholic AnswerFirst of all, the Catholic Church is the original and only Christian Church. All other "Christian" Churches are ecclesial communities which have broken away from the Catholic Church or from each other and are only Christian in so far as they still maintain valid Baptism and belief in the Nicene Creed as it has been traditionally interpreted. Jesus Christ founded only ONE Church and guaranteed that He would remain with it and protect it from error until the end of time. Secondly, the Holy Father is usually elected from the College of Cardinals, who are all Bishops of the Catholic Church; and thus Christian priests who follow in the footsteps of Jesus Christ in bringing Him to the world and the world to His Father.So the answer is, of course, the Holy Father (the Pope) is a Christian. He is the Vicar of Jesus Christ on earth, and the visible head of His Church; and THE Christian leader for the world.from Modern Catholic Dictionary by John A. Hardon, S.J. Doubleday & Co., Inc. Garden City, NY 1980Pope, Authority of the. Although elected by the college of cardinals, the pope's authority is not derived from them, but is given to God directly. He exercises it de iure divino (by divine right) as successor of St. Peter. He is infallible in teaching, and he has full and supremem power of jurisdiction over the whole Church, and directly and immediately over every Catholic, and all this in virtue of his office and permanently.from The Catechism of the Catholic Church, second edition, English translation 1994880 When Christ instituted the Twelve, "he constituted [them] in the form of a college or permanent assembly, a the head of which he placed Peter, chosen from among them." (Lumen gentium 19; cf Lk 6:13; Jn 21:15-17) Just as "by the Lord's institution, St. Peter and the rest of the apostles constitute a single apostolic college, so in like fashion the Roman Pontiff, Peter's successor, and the bishops, the successors of the apostles, are related with and united to one another." (Lumen gentium 22; cf. Codex Iuris Canonici, can 330.)881 The Lord made Simon alone, whom he named Peter, the "rock" of his Church. He gave him the keys of his Church and instituted him shepherd of the whole flock. (Cf. Mt16:18-10; Jn 21:15-17.) "The office of binding and loosing which was given to Peter was also assigned to the college of apostles united to its head." (Lumen gentium 22 section 2) This pastoral office of Peter and the other apostles belongs to the Church's very foundation and is continued by the bishops under the primacy of the Pope.882 The Pope, Bishop of Rome and Peter's successor, "is the perpetual and visible source and foundation of the unity both of the bishops and of the whole company of the faithful." (Lumen gentium 23) For the Roman Pontiff, by reason of his office as Vicar of Christ, and as pastor of the entire Church has full, supreme, and universal power over the whole Church, a power which he can always exercise unhindered. (Lumen gentium 22; cf. Christus Dominus 2, 9.)
                      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Is the WRONG answer

Surely to be one , one has to follow what the man said and did ?

It's the Vegan butchers society

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Excuse me. I wrote: "When it's pointed out that same sex marriage supporters support universal Civil Partnerships ...."

I didn't write "When it's pointed out that all same sex marriage supporters support universal Civil Partnerships ...."
                          I know what you wrote and what you didn't write, because I do read people's posts, actually.

And you did need to be more specific there, because the particular corner you're trying to back scotty into at that point isn't quite the neat angular shape you'd like it to be.
                          Last edited by jean; 24-03-13, 14:01.

Comment

• jean
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                            Peter Tatchell, the most prominent advocate and thus the most reviled, certainly does.
                            I know that, and I've written about it several times on this and other threads.

The problem with Peter Tatchell is that he sees marriage as per se an oppressive institution, and civil partnerships as a more equal alternative that should be available to everyone.

That's why he's always marching heterosexual couples up to register offices demanding civil partnerships for themselves and getting sent away in a blaze of publicity.

I wish he'd stop it.

In fact, I wish he'd shut up about it altogether, as Julie Bindel has the good sense to do. Here he is, in conversation with her:

...I absolutely share your feminist critique of marriage. I would never personally want to get married. I think it's a deeply heterosexist institution. But as a democrat, I defend the right of people to make the misguided choice to get married, if that is what they wish. I want the right to get married, precisely so I can have the freedom to reject it...

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Not patronising - just not someone I want speaking for me on this topic.

Comment

Working...
                              X