X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scottycelt

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
    Why do you put bisexual in inverted commas?
    Why did Flossie put 'once a Catholic, always a Catholic' in inverted commas ... ?
    Why did Mr GG put "came out" and "conflicted" in inverted commas ... ?
    Why did Jean put 'Civil Partnership' in inverted commas ... ?
    Why on earth did Amsey put *gets a fresh coffee & settles back* in asteriks?
    Why did Pab put "Now, I think I'll start believing that..." in inverted commas?
    Why did Julien Sorel put "homosexual practice" in inverted commas?
    Why did ... er ... Richard Barrett put "moral consistency and stability" in inverted commas?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
      Happy to oblige.....

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
        Why did Flossie put 'once a Catholic, always a Catholic' in inverted commas ... ?
        Why did Mr GG put "came out" and "conflicted" in inverted commas ... ?
        Why on earth did Amsey put *gets a fresh coffee & settles back* in asteriks?
        Why did Pab put "Now, I think I'll start believing that..." in inverted commas?
        Why did ... er ... Richard Barrett put "moral consistency and stability" in inverted commas?

"came out" was a quote
        "Conflicted" was a quote that's what I was taught these "" were for !!!

Pay attention FFS

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          "came out" was a quote
          "Conflicted" was a quote that's what I was taught these "" were for !!!

Pay attention FFS
          Why are you telling me ...?

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Because I was directly quoting what I thought was a strange - i.e. unusual - turn of phrase by scottycelt.

No other reason. If I started writing 'the Pope' rather than the Pope then I might intend something. Rather as I suspect you sometimes do when you put phrases or words in inverted commas. My suspicion is you do it to indicate (a) disapprobation (b) a sort of general air of only to absurd secular liberals (or, indeed, 'liberals') do such nonsenses as bisexuals (or 'bisexuals') exist.

Hope that helps .

Comment

• Beef Oven

Why are you telling me ...?
              lefties are always 'telling people'

Comment

• Richard Barrett

Because I was quoting you directly.

As Julien says, QUOTE My suspicion is you do it to indicate (a) disapprobation (b) a sort of general air of only to absurd secular liberals (or, indeed, 'liberals') do such nonsenses as bisexuals (or 'bisexuals') exist. UNQUOTE

So which is it?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Richard Barrett View Post
                  Because I was quoting you directly.

As Julien says, QUOTE My suspicion is you do it to indicate (a) disapprobation (b) a sort of general air of only to absurd secular liberals (or, indeed, 'liberals') do such nonsenses as bisexuals (or 'bisexuals') exist. UNQUOTE

So which is it?
                  If you were quoting directly it should have been single inverted commas ... we are not yet a colony of the US ... as far as I know.

Julien Sorel queried my use of the phrase 'homosexual practice'. He typically attributed an ulterior motive on my part to this simple phrase. He suggested two possible reasons (expanded) for this ulterior motive.

Needless to say, neither of them are correct. I quite deliberately used the phrase 'homosexual practice' to distinguish it from "homosexual orientation" in relation to Catholic belief. The two, after all, are distinguishable in Catholic belief. Sorry to greatly disappoint our resident secular liberals.

If I hadn't been careful to do that I'm willing to bet the same Julien and Richard and Amsey, Flossie, Mr GG et al (apologies for the italics) would have descended on myself like the proverbial ton of bricks. Not that this differentiation has automatically prevented that anyway, as is obviously now the case.

There you go, you now know the truth ... would you like the inevitable 'sick-bags'?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

If you were quoting directly it should have been single inverted commas ... we are not yet a colony of the US ... as far as I know.
                    WHAT ?

When I went to school in England in the 1970's these "" were quotation marks

Comment

• Julien Sorel

Julien Sorel queried my use of the phrase 'homosexual practice'. He typically attributed an ulterior motive on my part to this simple phrase. He suggested two possible reasons (expanded) for this ulterior motive.
                      I did no such thing. I just thought it was a weird phrase. I wasn't going to write homosexual practice without quotes as though it was a phrase I'd use because it isn't a phrase I'd use.

What are the two possible reasons (expanded) for you having an ulterior motive that I gave? Because I don't remember giving them. I suggested a reason for you putting certain words / phrases in quotes. The suggestion is perfectly correct, of course, but you are so innately devious you'd deny we are in March if it suited you.

For quotes I use "". I've done so since my undergraduate years in the early 80s, and I still do. It's perfectly common, usual practice in English Anglophone prose as far as I know.

Comment

• scottycelt

WHAT ?

Oh dear, Mr GG, that's a liberal English education for you ...

In the UK it used to be always single inverted commas for direct quotes and double for indirect. In the US double is used for direct quotations.

Now in the UK it's very much "please yourself" ...

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Julien Sorel View Post
                          ... you are so innately devious you'd deny we are in March if it suited you.
                          Okay, okay , I finally confess ... I'm a cloak-and-dagger Jesuit priest.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Beef Oven

WHAT ?

1970s, NOT 1970's.

See me.

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Because I was writing about the term 'civil partnership' rather than using the term to refer to an actual event or state:

But it's so obvious that 'civil partnership' was a term devised because there were those not quite yet ready for the term 'marriage' to be officially allowed to gay people that arguments based on 'equality' are spurious.
                              'Equality' OTOH I am quoting.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Oh dear, Mr GG, that's a liberal English education for you ...
                                I wouldn't describe my education as "Liberal" by any stretch of the imagination
                                (not until I went to art college that is )

Comment

Working...
                                X