X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
    In the great scheme of things it undoubtedly is, however shameful the 'choppy waters' episode.

If the Catholic Church not only survived but grew strongly following the Reformation and a host of secular revolutions it is hard to see what will actually destroy it.

The oft-predicted imminent Death of Catholicism has always been greatly exaggerated, I'm afraid, Ferret.
    Have you been following events in Eire over the last ten to fifteen years, scotty?

Rarely has an institution formerly held in high regard fallen so far and so swiftly and, apparently, so permanently.

What odds is Paddy Power offering these days, I wonder
    Last edited by Guest; 28-02-13, 13:06. Reason: capital

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

It's no better than Downton Abbey....(visually) Julian Fellowes would make an awfully good Pope....
      bong ching

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Deckerd View Post
        The person you quoted said nothing about the destruction, or imminent death of Catholicism but was commenting on the astonishingly anodyne language the church officials are using. Why do you quote people without actually addressing what they say?
        What is there to address? The Pope used the term 'choppy waters' that's all and Ferret may have preferred a stronger term. So what?

I also concluded my post with a winkeye which sort of indicates I do not take such forum trivia too seriously.

Would you prefer Ferret and I go to war over it ... ?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

In the great scheme of things it undoubtedly is, however shameful the 'choppy waters' episode.

If the Catholic Church not only survived but grew strongly following the Reformation and a host of secular revolutions it is hard to see what will actually destroy it.

The oft-predicted imminent Death of Catholicism has always been greatly exaggerated, I'm afraid, Ferret.
          Perhaps scotty, but make sure that you check that dark cupboard in the bedroom corner, you never know what horrors might lurk for you if the Catholic Church ceases to be. After all, you will need another superstition to sustain you.
          Meanwhile, I'll try to suffer the continuing existence of your favourite intellectual tyranny with as much fortitude as I can muster!

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Meanwhile:

Office groping is back in the headlines. But it's a difficult subject to talk about and even define.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Indeed it is not easy getting to the bottom of this subject.......

Seriously, however, for the touchy-feely, who, being myself one, have no erotic intent or gain, the "grey areas" between what is or is not sexual harassment are a major inhibiting factor in the automatic way we might normally behave towards other people, given our embrace of the tactile back in the alternative-thinking early 'seventies - the idea that disinhibition need not necessarily be synonymous with sexual libertinism, contrary to old, repressed thinking.

Now we can see that we failed to take unequal power relations in society in general into account

That period has much to answer for!

Comment

• jean
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                Seriously, however, for the touchy-feely, who, being myself one, have no erotic intent or gain, the "grey areas" between what is or is not sexual harassment are a major inhibiting factor in the automatic way we might normally behave towards other people...
                If you ever find yourself touching a woman colleague in a way you would not touch a man (unless you're both gay), you know you're on the wrong side of the line.

It's not that difficult. It never was.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
                  If you ever find yourself touching a woman colleague in a way you would not touch a man (unless you're both gay), you know you're on the wrong side of the line.

I have for many years had a tendency to embrace people in social, but not work situations, regardless of their or my gender or sexual orientation, jean. Nobody's complained, but I have been retired for a number of years, which may account for that.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                    Perhaps scotty, but make sure that you check that dark cupboard in the bedroom corner, you never know what horrors might lurk for you if the Catholic Church ceases to be. After all, you will need another superstition to sustain you.
                    Meanwhile, I'll try to suffer the continuing existence of your favourite intellectual tyranny with as much fortitude as I can muster!
                    You're very brave, Ferret ... how you have ever managed to survive in the face of my favourite intellectual tyranny I'll never know!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by jean View Post

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                        • Nov 2010

You're very brave, Ferret ... how you have ever managed to survive in the face of my favourite intellectual tyranny I'll never know!
                        Ignoring nonsense can be quite easy scotty, try it some time! Truly remembering the victims instead might be a good way to start.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                          Can superstition be intellectual?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Can superstition be intellectual?
                            ' ... it is the liberals who fear liberty and the intellectuals who want to do dirt on the intellect ... '

How so very true, Mr Blair!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Hello, Scotty. I've been laid low for a couple of days with a tropical 'thing' (not Mrs. Pab - I mean a virus or some other disorder that hates any liquid to stay inside the body). Thing is, it came on almost immediately after I'd upbraided you for using logical fallacies. It was clearly a supernatural occurrence - someone is watching over you.

I suppose I should now admit that everything you've said is right.

But...

Somehow...

I can't.

I'm feeling OK now (though a little empty - my mother would say 'leery').

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                                Hello, Scotty. I've been laid low for a couple of days with a tropical 'thing' (not Mrs. Pab - I mean a virus or some other disorder that hates any liquid to stay inside the body). Thing is, it came on almost immediately after I'd upbraided you for using logical fallacies. It was clearly a supernatural occurrence - someone is watching over you.

I suppose I should now admit that everything you've said is right.

But...

Somehow...

I can't.

I'm feeling OK now (though a little empty - my mother would say 'leery').
                                Sorry to hear about your nasty little "indisposition", Pab, but I'm delighted you are now on the road to recovery.

Don't be silly, even I wouldn't admit everything I say is right, though, when all is said and done, it could well turn out to be a damn close-run thing ...

Comment

Working...
                                X