Welfare &c.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • handsomefortune

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21427092 the beeb's version of same, (and is it just me, or is the whole subject much more attractively presented than sky's)?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
      At last we agree.
      A perfect riposte!

But be prepared for a thousand-word sentence discussing at length whether the 'last' is in fact the last in the context of contemporaneous or whether the allusion is to a cobbler's last in which case it brings into question the whole context of what do we mean by 'we' in that is that the 'we' as in 'you and I' or the 'us' or even perhaps an allegorical reference to Her Majesty which if it did would then surely bring into question the very existence of the concept of 'At last' in the presence of Royalty since that could be taken to imply 'At last...your Majesty has arrived'.

Or words to that effect.

Comment

• handsomefortune

an extraordinary judicial own goal

yes ahinton!

the words 'couldn't', 'p*ss up' - & 'brewery' spring to mind (luckily on this occasion)!

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by handsomefortune View Post
          an extraordinary judicial own goal

yes ahinton!

the words 'couldn't', 'p*ss up' - & 'brewery' spring to mind (luckily on this occasion)!
          I know....just thank God that it wasn't Labour in power. Look at the mess they made last time...

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            I know....just thank God that it wasn't Labour in power. Look at the mess they made last time...
            I'm amazed that you profess to be able to tell the difference, RM

Comment

• ahinton
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by JFLL View Post
              At last we agree.
              Do we? On what?

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

A perfect riposte!
                That's a "riposte"?! Your standards appear to leave much to be desired!

But be prepared for a thousand-word sentence discussing at length whether the 'last' is in fact the last in the context of contemporaneous or whether the allusion is to a cobbler's last in which case it brings into question the whole context of what do we mean by 'we' in that is that the 'we' as in 'you and I' or the 'us' or even perhaps an allegorical reference to Her Majesty which if it did would then surely bring into question the very existence of the concept of 'At last' in the presence of Royalty since that could be taken to imply 'At last...your Majesty has arrived'.
                Well, any such - er - "riposte" will have to come from another source, since the one that I've provided comprises a mere four words (as you may note), for the sheer length and prolixity of which I humbly apologise as, try as I might, I just couldn't manage realistically to condense it into less.

Or words to that effect.
                Hmm - it's probably worth figuring out whether one's words can have an effect of any kind before writing thus, I suspect...

Comment

Working...
                X