• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Welfare &c.

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Only someone who has never been required to live on welfare benefits could believe that there is no discipline in today's society
    Surely, no one is 'required' to live on welfare benefits? One either chooses to apply for them and live on them, or one chooses not to.

If you 'choose' to live on them, then you enter into certain obligations toward the state, in return for the generosity it has extended to you.

And that, however much the liberals whinge, is a fact.
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    Surely, no one is 'required' to live on welfare benefits? One either chooses to apply for them and live on them, or one chooses not to.

If you 'choose' to live on them, then you enter into certain obligations toward the state, in return for the generosity it has extended to you.

OOOPS wrong planet

Comment

• eighthobstruction
      • Nov 2010

I think someone needs some of this....http://www.heritagelanterns.com/hlart/lanterns/p25c.gif
      bong ching

Comment

• anotherbob
        • Sep 2011

WUM

Comment

• eighthobstruction
          • Nov 2010

Pita tbfranklyh....imo
          bong ching

Comment

• anotherbob
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
            Pita
            OK. One step at a time. Does this mean "p####d in the afternoon"?

Comment

• vinteuil
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by anotherbob View Post
              OK. One step at a time. Does this mean "p####d in the afternoon"?
              ... more usually, I think - "pain in the a*** ('afternoon', if you will)"

Comment

• ahinton
                • Nov 2010

Your latter ' is in the wrong place; it should be after "live", not after "required". What is being referred to here is that, for some, state benefits are "required" in order that they may continue to "live"; the only choice involved is whether or not to live, not whether or not to apply for state benefits.

Again, for many, there is no such "choice" and, given that the levels of "generosity" that you accord to the state in paying them accord to the levels of individual entitlement, from which you should realise that some who are entitled to receive them also declare income from other sources but which is deemed insufficient for their needs by the state.

None of this applies in quite the same way to state retirement benefit which in every other respect is nevertheless a state benefit like any other. I think that you would be wise to overhaul your view of all of this before presenting statements such as yours here.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  OOOPS wrong planet
                  Yes - someone's on it, for sure!...

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

I blame Schoenberg myself, breaking the "laws" of tonality led to the destruction of society
                    Indeed! Schoenberg - and also Schönberg before him - is undoubtedly responsible for almost all of modern society's woes and ills, although this has been relatively common knowledge (at least among Western "classical" music's listening public) for generations. One can only wonder with bated breath and a sense of fear what may happen to society when his works enter the public domain in just under nine years' time; Arnogeddon, almost certainly.

Harrumph!

Ahem...
                    Last edited by ahinton; 05-02-13, 17:46.

Comment

• scottycelt

I'm sure those who identify themselves as "Christians" can cope with it
                      I think it IS a fair comment if you include those "Christians" who seem to be in favour of many of the things that the beardyman was against !

As a Catholic I think recent history in Ireland (and not so recent in many other places !) leaves you on somewhat shaky ground ! (though I did work in a wonderful school in the poorest part of Limerick once who's teaching staff were mostly nuns so i'm not saying that you are ALL dreadful ......)
                      Thank you, Mr GG ... that's very fair and equitable of you (and very kind).

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                        • Nov 2010

....then again there's always an Arniegeddin....a Jewish Taxi driver....
                        bong ching

Comment

• amateur51

Classic Mandy!

I claim welfare benefits because I have physical and physiological impairments that make it no longer possible for me to work, although I did work full-time for many years, so much so that I accrued enough 'points' to get an enhanced State pension. I thus claim disability benefits as a modest recompense for all the contributions that I made, now that I can't work and am in need of support.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

So Mandy
                            when my wife and I decided to have a second child
                            it went like this .........

"how about having another baby ?"
                            "yes , what a great idea"
                            "I know , just to make it interesting , lets get ourselves an autistic one"
                            "what a wonderful idea, that will make for an interesting life, and his, and ours , for the rest of our lives and his"

I wouldn't change my life for one minute (I've met John Cage and worked with Tony Pappano and etc etc etc )
                            but the idea that we all "choose" what happens is more than a little ridiculous (but you do have form in this area so i'm not surprised !)

TRY engaging your brain before writing , I have found it saves me getting beaten up in pubs

Comment

• ahinton
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Classic Mandy!

I claim welfare benefits because I have physical and physiological impairments that make it no longer possible for me to work, although I did work full-time for many years, so much so that I accrued enough 'points' to get an enhanced State pension. I thus claim disability benefits as a modest recompense for all the contributions that I made, now that I can't work and am in need of support.
                              I'm very sorry to hear of your plight, which I imagine is hardly minimised by the thought that someone appears to be prepared to imply that you somehow "chose" to have those impairments; there some people around with the most bizarre ideas, that's for sure!

Comment

Working...
                              X