• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Archaeology

With the announcement of the find in Greyfriars Car park in Leicester, that the bones are of Richard III, makes you think how history can be so meanigfull, and touches you where you think it wouldnt. It's like, in a way tracing your family history?

Edit (spelling of title?)
    Archaeology - Admin?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

Edit (spelling of title?)
    Archaeology - Admin?
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• vinteuil
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
      ... nicely done, o Calipasha.

But praps shd also be consolidated with the the Dick the T'urd thread??

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

Except in a very few exceptional circumstances, eg as with Richard III, I do find it disturbing when people dig up people's resting places, no matter how old they are?
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mr Pee
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          ... nicely done, o Calipasha.

But praps shd also be consolidated with the the Dick the T'urd thread??
          Although that is sadly showing rapid signs of degenaration into a slanging/point scoring match; if that continues to be the case perhaps we can continue sensible discussion here instead?
          Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
            Although that is sadly showing rapid signs of degenaration into a slanging/point scoring match; if that continues to be the case perhaps we can continue sensible discussion here instead?
            I think you'll find it's called a discussion Mr Pee, where people whose points of views differ initially are persuaded by other arguments, or not, and gradually move towards or away from other points of view.

I'd vote for a merging

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

i would not, BBM suggests a sensitivity i often feel when archaeologists [eg time team] go hither and thither digging up interred persons in cavalier fashion for our entertainment ...
              many idigenous peoples are now demanding their ancestors back for reburial from Universities and Museums ....
              on the other hand it is both fascinating and important for study to examine the remains of the long deceased .... beware over familiarity with such remains i would suggest ...
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• marthe

Time Team might be "digging up interred persons for our entertainment" but the archaeologists with whom I worked were always sensitive to the fact that they were working with human remains. They treated skeletons or cremated remains with all due respect. This was back in the 70s in the Trent Valley area. maybe things have changed since then.

Comment

Working...
                X