X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Jean, i think it is a good time to have a re-evaluate this man.

With such a find, this siure quite a good time to do this?
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mr Pee
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
      Excuse me, Caliban, Mandy does weight-training!
      I can't believe that a thread about this remarkable, historic news has so quickly degenerated into a slanging match.

It doesn't reflect terribly well on us, does it?

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the Channel 4 film tonight- I shan't be able to watch it live but shall record and catch up tomorrow.

It does seem that this discovery has re-awakened the debate about how accurate our perception of Richard III has been. After all, it was in the interests of the Tudors to paint him as an evil criminal. One thing we now know for certain is that he did not have a withered arm, and although his scoliosis might have resulted in a slight hunch, it would have been hardly visible under his clothing.

Fascinating stuff indeed.

King Richard III was painted by Shakespeare as an evil man, but a society named after him is trying to clear his name.
      Last edited by Mr Pee; 04-02-13, 15:13. Reason: Added link
      Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
        I don't think that it is but I'm trying to remember from which Verdi opera it comes...
        I thought it was G&S ?

Comment

• aeolium
          • Nov 2010

I'd be quite interested in learning about the precise nature of Richard's claim to the throne in June 1483, i.e. how it stacked up against other competing claims.

Comment

• Angle
            • Dec 2010

THE DAUGHTER OF TIME should be the Book of the Week.

BBC R4 broadcast a good adaptation of it as a play on 30 August 1982 with Peter Gilmore, Simon Hewitt, Frances Jeater and Rosalind Shanks among the cast. Copies exist in the collections of severa lradio drama enthusiasts so if you know one ....

Now all we need is a Glorious Summer.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              I can't believe that a thread about this remarkable, historic news has so quickly degenerated into a slanging match.

It doesn't reflect terribly well on us, does it?

Anyway, I am really looking forward to the Channel 4 film tonight- I shan't be able to watch it live but shall record and catch up tomorrow.

It does seem that this discovery has re-awakened the debate about how accurate our perception of Richard III has been. After all, it was in the interests of the Tudors to paint him as an evil criminal. One thing we now know for certain is that he did not have a withered arm, and although his scoliosis might have resulted in a slight hunch, it would have been hardly visible under his clothing.

Fascinating stuff indeed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19572103
              I love it when serial certain thread-diverters come over all holier than thou

As an apatheist and a republican this news is marginally interesting to me but all it seems to solve is that Richard III did not have a withered arm. By all means re-bury him but where he was found please and with only the minimum of fuss

The real news is the use of DNA recovery

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by jean View Post
                Obviously.

So why is everyone linking this find to a reassessment of his character and behaviour?
                Who constitutes this "everybody"? I mentioned that the find might lead to increased sales of Tey's The Daughter of Time, but that hardly implies that the find serves to either confirm or deny the various myths surrounding our man Gloucester.

Comment

• ahinton
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                  I thought it was G&S ?
                  Ah, yes! That's why I couldn't remember...

Anyway, as long as whoever's in charge of that car park doesn't give him a ticket for overstaying his time, all will be well, I guess - and I don't suppose that they will, as they probably have only a skeleton staff and he'd probably not even parked anyway, hence his cry of "a space, a space, my kingdom for a space".

All that said, however, it is indeed in all seriousness a fascinating and remarkable discovery and it will be interesting to hear more about it.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Who constitutes this "everybody"?
                    Quite a few people on Radio 4 this morning.

It's certainly an exciting discovery, but some of the excitement seemed to be a bit misplaced.

Comment

• ahinton
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Angle View Post
                      THE DAUGHTER OF TIME should be the Book of the Week.

BBC R4 broadcast a good adaptation of it as a play on 30 August 1982 with Peter Gilmore, Simon Hewitt, Frances Jeater and Rosalind Shanks among the cast. Copies exist in the collections of severa lradio drama enthusiasts so if you know one ....

Now all we need is a Glorious Summer.
                      Some hopes!

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        I love it when serial certain thread-diverters come over all holier than thou

As an apatheist and a republican this news is marginally interesting to me but all it seems to solve is that Richard III did not have a withered arm. By all means re-bury him but where he was found please ...
                        No, no , no. In his bruvver's chapel at Windsor. That might really set the cat among the pigeons, especially as it was he who had the murdered Henry VI's body re-interred there.

Comment

• vinteuil
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post

It's certainly an exciting discovery...
                          ... exciting? I have to say our withers are unwrung here

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                            No, no , no. In his bruvver's chapel at Windsor. That might really set the cat among the pigeons, especially as it was he who had the murdered Henry VI's body re-interred there.
                            wha'eva!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              All that said, however, it is indeed in all seriousness a fascinating and remarkable discovery and it will be interesting to hear more about it.
                              indeed

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                                ... exciting? I have to say our withers are unwrung here
                                My withers are still in their cellophane wrapping here

Comment

Working...
                                X