• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flosshilde
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
    Astonishing.

Plus it's at the heart of some of the best place and street names in the country:

Raw Dykes
    Butthole Lane

Are you sure these aren't anything to do with the karaoke night that Ams mentioned as one of Leicester's attractions?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
      Are you sure these aren't anything to do with the karaoke night that Ams mentioned as one of Leicester's attractions?
      Not at all sure!
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

What delightful imagery you conjure up Flosshilde.....talk about lowering the tone....
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

When everything has all been sorted, i wonder where Ricahrd III will be buiried? Leicester or york?Or could even be Westminster Abbey, maybe the best place, then it be all neutral?
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Anna

Not neccessarily - there is some doubt about the paternity of Victoria, for example, based on the incidence of porphyria in the royal family before her & haemophylia after. 'Ordinary' people's ancestry is a pretty well documented as royalty through parish registers and the various registry offices.
            Not necessarily, what is on the document may not be the truth. My great-grandmother ran off with Richard Jenkins to Pontypridd just 9 months after giving birth to her fourth child, Thomas. My grandfather was named on the birth certificate ..... but she took young Thomas with her and brought him up as a Jenkins. It used to be that a government minister (or was it the Lord Chamberlain?) had to be present at Royal births to avoid alternative babies being smuggled in if the Royal child died at birth. This was discontinued in 1948 after Prince Charles' birth.
            Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
            When everything has all been sorted, i wonder where Ricahrd III will be buiried? Leicester or york?Or could even be Westminster Abbey, maybe the best place, then it be all neutral?
            Personally I think York has a stronger case historically, but it's perhaps more fitting to bury him nearest to where he was killed.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I would agree with that, anna. As he was also Duke of York.
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Mr Pee
                • Nov 2010

I think Westminster Abbey has as good a case as anywhere else BBM....

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  I would agree with that, anna. As he was also Duke of York.
                  Hmm, so why not Gloucester, as he was that Duke before he inherited title to York. I still say re-inter him at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, along with his brother, whom he is credited with serving so diligently.

Comment

• ahinton
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                    Hmm, so why not Gloucester, as he was that Duke before he inherited title to York. I still say re-inter him at St. George's Chapel, Windsor Castle, along with his brother, whom he is credited with serving so diligently.
                    If arguments of this kind by conflicting newly vested interests continue in this fashion, it might be argued that, following his premature demise, the disinterment of Richard III more than half a millennium later is already resulting in his skeleton morphing into another set of Elgin marbles or becoming the victim in an unsavoury game of PPP - Pass the Plantagenet Parcel...

Comment

• Anna

That Daily Wail article is a bit OTT and Metrocentral isn't it? The only valid reason for burying him there would be to lay him alongside his wife, the suggestion of a State Funeral is ridiculous. I can see Bryn's point about Windsor, but that may also be a bit too close to home for Betty. As he is always asssociated with The North and taking over Council of the North, plus being born in Northants, I suggest Northampton Cathedral, which fits the bill for his faith, which is pre-Reformation
                      (Northampton is in the North I assume)

Comment

• Bryn
                        Banned
                        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        ... (Northampton is in the North I assume)
                        Well it's north of Watford, so I suppose that's right, it is of The North.

Comment

• Anna

Well it's north of Watford, so I suppose that's right, it is of The North.
                          Right Bryn, let us make an Executive Decision. Richard III was of the North, Northampton is, I presume, signposted on the MI as The North as Romans would understand. Deed done!
                          Oh really, does it matter, as long as he is laid to rest in a more comfortable place than a Council carpark. Northants definitely probably needs more tourists than York .... Should we consider how the UK economy will benefit county by county as to where the remains are reinterred?
                          Perhaps, now this is a novel idea, his remains should be paraded through the land, like St. Edmund or Ste. Therese of Lisieux was recently?
                          Now, here's the thing, this is the thing, we've got the bones, let's capitalise on the bones, yah? And the Richard III society, wouldn't they pay a lot to actually, sort of, collapse in front of a glass case, and the Prices in the Tower Society (even though their parents marriage was declared invalid and they were branded as illegitimate and had no right to the succession) well, they'd love to spit on the glass case.
                          Sorry, imagination run away with me!!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                            I suggest Northampton Cathedral, which fits the bill for his faith, which is pre-Reformation
                            (Northampton is in the North I assume)
                            eer NO it's not

(but it IS in Europe )

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                              eer NO it's not
                              Unless they have quietly moved Watford north of it, Northampton most certainly is in The North, as any true Lunnonner will surely assert.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

Unless they have quietly moved Watford north of it, Northampton most certainly is in The North, as any true Lunnonner will surely assert.
                                Surely you know that Scunthorpe is the Hub of the Universe

Comment

Working...
                                X