• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man
    • Sep 2024

Philharmonia Orchestra App for the iPad

Has anyone got this? http://www.philharmonia.co.uk/app/

It seems to me a damn good reason to buy an iPad!
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

RM, the app may be great, but you do know that all Apple products are designed exclusively to tie you into buying their content as long as you have the gadget, don't you ?!

Great if you are happy with that kind of exploitive capitalism , of course......

(incidentally, looks like another way of accessing BC's to me !!)

More seriously, things like the Apple model and the BBC's rather secretive involvement in Digital Rights Management and where those things might lead really do worry me.....
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
      RM, the app may be great, but you do know that all Apple products are designed exclusively to tie you into buying their content as long as you have the gadget, don't you ?!
      ???

I'm using a mac but hardly use any mac software at all
      can't stand it ..........

(facebook IS skynet)

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
        ???

I'm using a mac but hardly use any mac software at all
        can't stand it ..........

(facebook IS skynet)
        If you say I am wrong, Gongers then that is good enough for me ,
        I would certainly avoid buying any content from itunes though, and I won' buy an ipod, because of the limitations put in by Apple. Perhaps that is just a personal choice.

Facebook.....disastrous.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

If you say I am wrong, Gongers then that is good enough for me ,
          I would certainly avoid buying any content from itunes though, and I won' buy an ipod, because of the limitations put in by Apple. Perhaps that is just a personal choice.

Facebook.....disastrous.
          To be honest, it doesn't phase me. If there is a song on iTunes that I want then I will buy the track. For me, it's a no-brainer...download it into iTunes and then sync with my iPod. Job done.

What limitations put in by Apple? I haven't come across any. Maybe there is a block in iTunes to prevent you playing Stockhausen

I also like the seamless way that the Apple programs work together. I subscribe to a crossword site. It is so easy in the morning to use Safari, go to the page with the day's crossword on it, hit cmd-i and automatically invoke Mail to send it to my friend.

Facebook, Titter and all social media sites should have been strangled at birth.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
            To be honest, it doesn't phase me. If there is a song on iTunes that I want then I will buy the track. For me, it's a no-brainer...download it into iTunes and then sync with my iPod. Job done.
            If I write some music and put it on iTunes then want to simply (I know other ways) copy it somewhere else
            I can't

why would I want to use that nonsense ?

iTunes sync's my phone that's about all i would use it for ...........

and what on earth have "SONGS" got to do with it ?
            NOT ALL MUSIC IS SONGS

(which is an argument I have lost completely )

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Who have you lost the "songs"argument with? I try not to have arguments I can't win anyway!!
              The copying thing is principally what annoys me. My little £30 MP3 is fantastic to use. Very much easier than the rather shiny lovely ipod that I also own....and which I suspect will become a rather shiny museum piece sooner than I would like...

Comment

• Resurrection Man

.....Very much easier than the rather shiny lovely ipod that I also own....and which I suspect will become a rather shiny museum piece sooner than I would like...
                Feel free to donate in my direction ....

Comment

• Resurrection Man

If I write some music and put it on iTunes then want to simply (I know other ways) copy it somewhere else
                  I can't

why would I want to use that nonsense ?

But if you've written it then you've already got it stored elsewhere. So copy it from there !

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Feel free to donate in my direction ....

I like museums and museum pieces, thanks all the same !! plus it iS nice and shiny and has some good music on it, albeit that I can't move anywhere else with any ease...or at all !!

Comment

• AmpH
                      • Feb 2012

This App was " reviewed " in the DT several weeks ago for anyone interested.

The Orchestra is a must-have for classical music lovers and possibly the best app Touch Press has made, writes Shane Richmond.

Looks very slick and glossy ( stylish ) but tellingly has very limited musical content ( substance ) and naturally it is pricey ( for an App ) - all of the characteristics one has come to associate with the Cupertino mob !

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by AmpH View Post
                        This App was " reviewed " in the DT several weeks ago for anyone interested.

The Orchestra is a must-have for classical music lovers and possibly the best app Touch Press has made, writes Shane Richmond.

Looks very slick and glossy ( stylish ) but tellingly has very limited musical content ( substance ) and naturally it is pricey ( for an App ) - all of the characteristics one has come to associate with the Cupertino mob !
                        That's pretty unfair, TBH. The App has nothing at all to do with Apple. The Philharmonia take full responsibility for it all...pricing et al.

Not sure if you are referring to the App or the review.

Certainly the headline in the review says

and it gets 5 stars. Maybe you prefer Grand Theft Auto ?

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

But if you've written it then you've already got it stored elsewhere. So copy it from there !
                          which in a nutshell is one of the stupid things about iTunes
                          pointless duplication of files
                          and so on

Comment

• Stunsworth
                            • Nov 2010

I can't
                            Yes you can. Right click on the music then select "Show In Finder" (that's on a Mac, I assume a Windows PC will have something similar). You can then copy it wherever you want.
                            Steve

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                              Yes you can. Right click on the music then select "Show In Finder" (that's on a Mac, I assume a Windows PC will have something similar). You can then copy it wherever you want.
                              yes I know
                              but it will have encoded it in a non standard crap MP3 format
                              so I would have to open it in something else to turn it back into aiff or wav or something useful
                              what on earth is the point in that ?

but back OT

I DO like the Philharmonia app though
                              I had a sneak preview from one of the programmers a while ago and Richard Slaney from the orchestra was on R4 talking about it .......

Comment

Working...
                              X