• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Beef Oven View Post
    Love your business card MrGG!!
    very good

I was once devising a piece in a primary school and do have a large collection of gongs and bells of different types
    so remember saying that
    "we will have a gong start and a bell end" ............ with no response at all from the 9 year olds but the orchestral player I was with found it hard to breathe

Here's yours

Comment

• jean
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
      As for the renaming of Volgagrad, perhaps it doesn't matter as much as we might think. Stalingrad is known to most people from the terrific struggle in WW2 - not for its connexion with Stalin's name. It is that that would be remembered, I guess, and I doubt that anyone would suggest that it were done out of homage to Stalin.
      Shostakovich's symphony is still the Leningrad, even though the city itself has reverted to St Petersburg.

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

In Chislehurst near me there is a Prick End Pond. Also a Lane of the same name. No need for tuk-tuks it's on the maps of the area.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
          As for the renaming of Volgagrad, perhaps it doesn't matter as much as we might think. Stalingrad is known to most people from the terrific struggle in WW2 - not for its connexion with Stalin's name. It is that that would be remembered, I guess, and I doubt that anyone would suggest that it were done out of homage to Stalin.
          One might have thought that but the Indie article I linked to above suggests otherwise:

"In addition to affection for the city’s old name, there is also nostalgia for Joseph Stalin himself, especially among the older generation. Behind the Mother Russia memorial is a museum dedicated to the wartime leader. No Soviet hangover, it was opened just six years ago by a local businessman (who was later shot in a contract killing), and features biographical data and a life-size waxwork of Stalin. On sale in the shop are Stalin calendars with soft-focus photographs of the Generalissimus in various modes: pensive, jovial, warrior-like."

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            very good

I was once devising a piece in a primary school and do have a large collection of gongs and bells of different types
            so remember saying that
            "we will have a gong start and a bell end" ............ with no response at all from the 9 year olds but the orchestral player I was with found it hard to breathe

Here's yours

No response from the 9 year-olds? Good.

I accosted a group of ten year-olds who I found tresspassing in my garden and I demanded to know who had left a condom on my patio. What's a patio they asked

Comment

• Angle
              • Dec 2010

Meanwhile, at Dobcross in Saddleworth, a sign on the A6052, low on the wall reads, "NICKER BROW leading to LOWER FIELDS".

Comment

Working...
              X