X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post

"Royal" Wootton Bassett didn't need rebranding.
    I live there and previous to the repatriations via nearby Lyneham no one had heard of the place. There was a certain frisson attached to the national and international attention we received, but on balance, I think I preferred it as we were. Organisations in the town have been applying to change their names to add "Royal", for example the Choral Society and the Tennis Club, both of which I am heavily involved with. This required applying to the Cabinet Office for permission. We then had to change the name of our bank account etc.

When I taught at the secondary school, it was called simply Wootton Bassett School. Under the new system it is now referred to grandiosely as Royal Wootton Bassett Academy. It was and is a good school but is still the local comp.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
      It's amazing how many new housing estates have roads with (often wildly inappropriate) birds' names - Lapwing Crescent, Osprey Drive etc. - the bird book is the first port of call for developers and council officials.

And in the spirit of other suggested changes, bird books could revert to the original Anglo-Saxon "whitearse" for "wheatear".
      Wasn't there a new estate in which the road leading to the police station was called Letsby Avenue ?

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
        Wasn't there a new estate in which the road leading to the police station was called Letsby Avenue ?
        Yes, it's in Sheffield -- story here:

One of the safest streets in Britain has ended up with a highly appropriate name, after planners and mapmakers turned a blind eye to a property developer's quip.

Comment

• vinteuil
          • Nov 2010

... sometimes a 'traditional' name becomes very hard to live with. I think of the commune La-Mort-aux-Juifs near Courtemaux in France.

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... sometimes a 'traditional' name becomes very hard to live with. I think of the commune La-Mort-aux-Juifs near Courtemaux in France.
            and the lane in York ?

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

When I first visited Madrid in 1972, one of the most important streets was named the Avenida José Antonio. By the time I went back some years later, it had become the, er, Gran Vía.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Nicholas Kenyon's changing "Record Review" to "CD Review" was the worst kind of shallow short-sighted "modernising". Can anyone think of a new title now, to include every kind of disc and download? The answer is... see above!

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
                  When I first visited Madrid in 1972, one of the most important streets was named the Avenida José Antonio. By the time I went back some years later, it had become the, er, Gran Vía.
                  The residents of one of Leipzig's main thoroughfares, Südstraße, woke up one day in 1933 to find they now lived in Adolf-Hitler-Straße. After Soviet occupation in 1945 they had to get used to living in Karl-Liebknecht-Straße, in honour of a local Communist hero. Local wags used to refer to Adolf Südknecht Straße.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                    Nicholas Kenyon's changing "Record Review" to "CD Review" was the worst kind of shallow short-sighted "modernising". Can anyone think of a new title now, to include every kind of disc and download? The answer is... see above!
                    "Essential Reviews?"
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Whatever-Medium-You-Choose-to-Listen-Through-including-Shellac-Vinyl-Tape-Digital-and-Otherwise-CD-Minidisk-i-Pod-Pad-Paq-Download-Review ?

Comment

• Barbirollians
                        • Nov 2010

JLW is entirely right - Record Review it should be - as it refers to the recorded nature of the music rather than the particular carrier of the musical info.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Here's an e-petition seeking to restore the old names of many roads in the UK:

One of the best known is Magpie Lane in Oxford (which has also been Grape Lane, or Grope Lane), but Shrewsbury still has Grope Lane (which also had an incarnation as Grope Countlane).

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Not to do with changing names, fortunately, but in a couple of nearby villages (Devon and Dorset) we have a Bim Bom Lane and an Upper and Lower Tink Tonks.
                            It is thought that they derive either from the sound of church bells or from some feudal tintinabulation ordering the start and finish of the agricultural working day.
                            Last edited by ardcarp; 02-02-13, 10:00.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              Here's an e-petition seeking to restore the old names of many roads in the UK:

One of the best known is Magpie Lane in Oxford (which has also been Grape Lane, or Grope Lane), but Shrewsbury still has Grope Lane (which also had an incarnation as Grope Countlane).

or even

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

or even

Love your business card MrGG!!

Comment

Working...
                                X