X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Scarfe touches a raw nerve

considering that Israel was founded on murder + violence against civilians followed by ethnic cleansing then by years of further theft of other people's land maybe the brave Lib Dem MP + cartoonist Gerald Scarffe are finally hitting the raw nerve judging from the howls of pain from the local supporters of Greater Israel
  • Thropplenoggin

I wonder if Israeli Jews get annoyed with the 'anti-semitic' card being played on their behalf. It was a political cartoon. I found it to be a sound barbed critique of the increasingly extreme right-wing government policy under Netanyahu.

Dave Brown of The Independent drew a similarly excoriating one of Ariel Sharon, based on Goya's 'Saturn Devouring One of His Children': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brown_(cartoonist)

Plus ça change, etc.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
      I wonder if Israeli Jews get annoyed with the 'anti-semitic' card being played on their behalf. It was a political cartoon. I found it to be a sound barbed critique of the increasingly extreme right-wing government policy under Netanyahu.

Dave Brown of The Independent drew a similarly excoriating one of Ariel Sharon, based on Goya's 'Saturn Devouring One of His Children': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Brown_(cartoonist)

Plus ça change, etc.
      Indeed. and both stand as fair comment, to my eyes and mind:

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
        • Nov 2010

The difference here is that while some people will find the Scarfe cartoon offensive - especially as it was blazoned in the Sunday Times on Holocaust Memorial Day - no-one died, there wasn't rioting in the streets, embassies weren't burned down nor a British ambassador murdered.

So to balance it up who here will want to reproduce the Danish cartoon of Mohammed with guns in the headscarf? Thought not.
        O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Bax-of-Delights
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Frances_iom View Post
          considering that Israel was founded on murder + violence against civilians followed by ethnic cleansing then by years of further theft of other people's land maybe the brave Lib Dem MP + cartoonist Gerald Scarffe are finally hitting the raw nerve judging from the howls of pain from the local supporters of Greater Israel
          That LibDem MP was playing to the very specific Mulsim gallery of his constituency and to whom he will have to turn to have any chance of being re-elected. It was and remains the most cynical of ploys. He is to be despised and I trust he will never be returned to parliament.
          O Wort, du Wort, das mir Fehlt!

Comment

• Dave2002
            • Dec 2010

Eh?

Comment

• Mandryka

The left invented the noxious culture of 'political correcnesst' which Rupert Murdoch has made use of (presumably to appease any of his Jewish investors who may have taken offence). Leftists therefore have no right to complain about his apology as he is simply using tactics that they have devised themselves.

Comment

• Dave2002
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                Eh?
                I presume it relates to this -
                A Liberal Democrat MP who accused "the Jews" in Israel of "inflicting atrocities on Palestinians" is censured by the party.

Without having more details and exact words I couldn't say that the MP was wrong.

In terms of body count I think there's no contest.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Scarfe's cartoon was needlessly offensive, particularly given the fact that it was published on Holocaust Memorial Day. Perhaps it should have also shown the Palestinians destroying the wall with rockets targeted on civilian areas, resulting in the deaths of innocent Israeli men, women and children. But it's not the done thing to mention that side of it, is it? The only victims we ever hear about are the Palestinian ones.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                    The only victims we ever hear about are the Palestinian ones.
                    That simply isn't true at all ! don't you read the papers or listen to the news ?

Don't fall into the trap of equating opposition to Israeli aggression with anti-semitism

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      Scarfe's cartoon was needlessly offensive, particularly given the fact that it was published on Holocaust Memorial Day. Perhaps it should have also shown the Palestinians destroying the wall with rockets targeted on civilian areas, resulting in the deaths of innocent Israeli men, women and children. But it's not the done thing to mention that side of it, is it? The only victims we ever hear about are the Palestinian ones.
                      We do not know that Scarfe drew that cartoon for Holocaust Memorial Day; personally I doubt.

The decision to publish such a cartoon last Sunday was that of the newly-appointed Editor. And who appointed this new Editor? Step forward Rupert Murdoch, who with typical management flair, has disowned the whole thing

The cartoon is a big dig at Netanyahu around the time of the Israeli election. It makes no reference to the Holocaust, I'd say it was highly critical of Israel's political leaders.

Since when have political cartoonists offered balanced comment?

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                        That simply isn't true at all ! don't you read the papers or listen to the news ?

Don't fall into the trap of equating opposition to Israeli aggression with anti-semitism
                        There you go again.
                        Israeli aggression.
                        I think you mean
                        self defence.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Quite so Gongers. It's not being anti semitic, for instance, to be against the Israeli nuclear arsenal, and the threat that it poses.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• teamsaint
                            • Nov 2010

Mr Pee, what is the nuclear threat to Israel, for which they need at least 75 warheads?
                            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                              The left invented the noxious culture of 'political correcnesst' which Rupert Murdoch has made use of (presumably to appease any of his Jewish investors who may have taken offence). Leftists therefore have no right to complain about his apology as he is simply using tactics that they have devised themselves.
                              Sorry that is utter nonsense- political correctness is a caricature invented by the Right to lambast anyone who objects to prejudice and discrimination . The vast majority of stories about PC behaviour are inventions .

As for these cartoons I find them distasteful and the publication of the Scarfe cartoon on Holocaust Memorial Day was crassly insensitive .

On the other hand , the playing of the Anti Semitic card every time Israel is criticised is extremely cynical . There is unfortunately still far too much real anti-semitism in the world and criticising in particular the Israeli right every time they want to take more Palestinian land or kill Palestinians in disproportionate responses to smallish scale Hamas and Islamic jihad mortar strikes - is not anti-semitic.

Comment

Working...
                              X