• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sydney Grew
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Great men of literature

Aldous Huxley the English intellectual had, as a result of his incessant reading, the right idea about everything. Here is the tone of his Brave New World:

"The liftman was a small simian creature, dressed in the black tunic of an Epsilon-Minus Semi-Moron."

In the early thirties of the last century he wrote "Universal education has created an immense class of what I may call the New Stupid." The intellectuals of the present forum, on the other hand, often bemoan the lack of education in certain subjects among the general population. Huxley went on to say "The gulf between the populace and those engaged in any intelligent occupation of whatever kind steadily widens. In twenty years' time a man of science or a serious artist will need an interpreter in order to talk to a cinema proprietor or a member of his audience." Such a state of affairs has indeed come to pass in our own day has it not. Huxley reflected further, "It's sad that all the things one believes in - such as democracy, economic equality, etc. - should turn out in practice to be so repulsively unpleasant." (Also true - and it should by the bye be said that in my own case one does not believe in democracy - it is by definition government by a rabble.)

Still in 1933, the T.L.S. reports Huxley as having written "About 99.5% of the entire population of the planet are as stupid and Philistine (though in different ways) as the great masses of the English. The important thing, it seems to me, is not to attack the 99.5% - except for exercise - but to try to see that the 0.5% survive, keep their own quality up to the highest level, and, if possible, dominate the rest."

Now the reason I quote all this is that it gives a clear indication of the correct stance to be taken towards Radio Three now and in the future. When something has deteriorated in the way that Radio Three has, we should not spend and disperse our energies in a vain attempt to patch it up. That way lies contamination. Rather recognise that the moment has come for the birth of a new entity of high quality. (And indeed this week I have been busy setting up a new web-site along those lines, inspired by the glory days of the old Third Programme. More in due course.)
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

From reading "Island", written right at the end of his life, one gets the impression that Aldous changed his mind.

It is never too late.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
      From reading "Island", written right at the end of his life, one gets the impression that Aldous changed his mind.

It is never too late.
      Aha, yes. By then the doors of perception had been opened by his little friend, M. Mescalin.
      Last edited by Guest; 28-01-13, 14:44.

Comment

• JFLL
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Sydney Grew View Post
        [Aldous Huxley wrote:] "About 99.5% of the entire population of the planet are as stupid and Philistine (though in different ways) as the great masses of the English. The important thing, it seems to me, is not to attack the 99.5% - except for exercise - but to try to see that the 0.5% survive, keep their own quality up to the highest level, and, if possible, dominate the rest."
        Now that is a real elitist.

Comment

• Gordon
          • Nov 2010

Oooh! Heady stuff SG! Out of the 200, which 0.5% gets to rule then? By what means do they dominate? The 99.5% won't necessarily lie down and take it will they, unless you systematically remove their capacity to resist as AH proposed in BNW? One suspects that they all think they do. How do I know I'm one of the 0.5%? My 0.5% is Manchester United and we shall prevail against those moronic and Philistine Scousers who can't play for Toffee. I wonder if his scientific relatives had told AH about recessive genes.

A bit of trivial arithmetic: 0.5% of the 60 or so Millions in the UK population gives me 300,000 people now with an Army [or maybe a sercret police force might be a bit more intelligent] that big I might just be able to dominate the rest... Hm. Meanwhile just along the road a bit another 300,000 Moslems are getting their ideas together.....

Is that a tongue I see in your cheek or are you just sucking a sweetie?!?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
            • Nov 2010

Aldous Huxley was capable of great stupidity himself. He ruined his eyesight following a quack technique, and once he was nearly blind he wrote a book recommending it.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

"It's sad that all the things one believes in - such as democracy, economic equality, etc. - should turn out in practice to be so repulsively unpleasant."

Should turn out in practice? And there were we ignorantly believing that democracy and economic equality were merely hopeful objectives.

Comment

• Bumfluff
                • Nov 2011

I really do think "Sydney Grew" would make a good Steve Coogan character, or even Peter Cook. Yes it's very Streeb-Greebling.

Comment

• Sydney Grew
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

Of course for "a cinema proprietor" one should to-day read "the B.B.C."

Comment

• scottycelt

<About 99.5% of the entire population of the planet are as stupid and Philistine as the great masses of the English ... >

Goodness Me, now that is indeed scary ...

Of course, it must be stressed at all times that Mr Huxley would have almost certainly considered members of this forum to be very much part of the remaining 00.5%.

In fact, if he were alive today, we may well have had the honour and privilege of observing this great man of intellect being one of our leading and most valued contributors ...

Comment

• Demetrius
                      • Sep 2011

And yet I doubt that the masses before Huxlays time (and in his youth) were well educated, openminded people who frequently burst into eloquent and informed discussions of the newest scientific discoveries ... maybe more of a non-progress then a decline.

Comment

Working...
                      X