X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Malcolmtalcum
    • Sep 2024

Friends of Radio Three?

Being a occasional Radio 3 listener I have only just some across your message boards and decided to google you. Does anybody care to comment on the following:

The self-styled 'Friends of Radio 3' have launched a fresh attack on the station's non-classical output. Do they have a point? By Stephen Moss.

My favourite bits.

This from a BBC "insider":

"Who are these friends? There are only about four of them. They're just not being rational. They hog our messageboards, they bully people, they're elitist."

Sums up my impressions to a tee!

And Roger Wright:

"I've had contact with these people over a long time. We arranged a meeting to discuss their concerns. I expected a hundred people to march on Broadcasting House. Two turned up and even they couldn't agree whether jazz was any good. They are a lobby group and there is no evidence that they are representative of our 2.3 million listeners. They are looking to return to a world that probably never existed."

According to the writer of the article:

"They made contact on Radio 3 messageboards, using a code to identify each other."

Who are you people? The Opus Dei of the classical world? The freemasons? Whatever it is it sounds like every other fanatical cult I've ever heard of.

If you’re the friends of Radio 3 it certainly doesn't need any enemies.
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Malcolmtalcum View Post
    Being a occasional Radio 3 listener I have only just some across your message boards and decided to google you. Does anybody care to comment on the following:

The self-styled 'Friends of Radio 3' have launched a fresh attack on the station's non-classical output. Do they have a point? By Stephen Moss.

My favourite bits.

"Who are these friends? There are only about four of them. They're just not being rational. They hog our messageboards, they bully people, they're elitist."

And Roger Wright:

"I've had contact with these people over a long time. We arranged a meeting to discuss their concerns. I expected a hundred people to march on Broadcasting House. Two turned up and even they couldn't agree whether jazz was any good. They are a lobby group and there is no evidence that they are representative of our 2.3 million listeners. They are looking to return to a world that probably never existed."

"They made contact on Radio 3 messageboards, using a code to identify each other."

Who are you people? The Opus Dei of the classical world? The freemasons? Whatever it is it sounds like every other fanatical cult I've ever heard of.

What I dislike the most is the current obsession by Radio 3 programmers for audience participation programmes such as phone-in’s for quizzes etc. And the need to involve celebrities all the time to talk about their favourite pieces of music. I’m not a fan of ‘World Music’ and the ‘Late Junction’ programme in particular but I accept that some people might enjoy it; not that I’ve ever come across anyone who does. But then we are clearly not as cosmopolitan the frozen North West of England.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Here's an idea. Read the forums. Get to know what's discussed here, rather than kicking off your time here with an ill-informed and unnecessarily aggressive post.

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

My favourite bits.

And Roger Wright:

Self-evidently you are a troll - referring to an eight year old post !!!

There are hundreds of members of this forum from all manner of different backgrounds , many practising or retired musicians, a least two eminent music critics and numerous others .

Holding all manner of differents opinions . If generally , the members of this forum dislike a deliberate and cynical decision to ape Classic FM in their breakfast programme and dumbing down morning programmes - a view point widely held that the BBC is dumbling down across its whole remit then that strikes me as a mainstream opinion.

There are few crasser and instructive methods of defensive behaviour than caricaturing your critics views , launching unfounded personal abuse and then attacking the caricature rather than the substance of those criticisms .

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Troll.

Anyway, the FOR3 are the Keepers of the Keys of Heaven.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            Here's an idea. Read the forums. Get to know what's discussed here, rather than kicking off your time here with an ill-informed and unnecessarily aggressive post.

+1

Comment

• Barbirollians
              • Nov 2010

Well that must be the 4 of us !

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Your obviously applying a modicum of talcum malcolm to slip into a phenomenon pursued by anons in a miniscule fashion though their passion deminishs not for the best of the musical action. As an occasional listener we will listen to you. depending which bone you really want to chew....

Wow man you're so NOW....2004 pwshhh....

ahem welcome <possibly>....
                Last edited by eighthobstruction; 25-01-13, 15:52.
                bong ching

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                  Your obviously applying a modicum of talcum malcolm to phenomenon pursued by anons in a miniscule fashion though their passion deminishs not for the best of the musical action. As an occasional listener we will listen to you. depending which bone you really want to chew....

ahem welcome <possibly>....
                  A cautious welcome to this new member!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                    • Nov 2010

I'm not convinced that #1 of the thread wasn't intended from the outset to satirise that silly Grauniad thing.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                      I'm not convinced that #1 of the thread wasn't intended from the outset to satirise that silly Grauniad thing.
                      Indeed, a stealth bomber.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by EnemyoftheStoat View Post
                        I think he needs more practice.

Perhaps he could try using <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          I think he needs more practice.

Perhaps he could try using <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags
                          Mmm - too blatant.

Comment

• johnb
                            • Mar 2007

I demand to know why no one told me the special code.

Comment

• EnemyoftheStoat
                              • Nov 2010

Handshake you mean. oops maybe not.

Comment

Working...
                              X