X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

The 'Nazi Past' of Elisabeth Schwarzkopf

(continued from Klemperer boxes thread).
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Oh, for goodness' sake! Not again!
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

This is surely not a fit topic for CD Review - can it be packed off to Platform 3 ?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Comment

• Mandryka

I didn't raise the subject.....and besides, I was 'only obeying orders.'

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
            I didn't raise the subject.....and besides, I was 'only obeying orders.'

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Lovely comment! Very accommodating, especially for those new to the forum and new to classical music, who haven't discussed this issue before. It was me who raised this in the Klemperer box set thread.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Can this thread be closed???
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• amateur51

This Sunday is Holocaust Memorial Day.

The BBC has an excellent library of material about the Holocaust ...

and is broadcasting this on Sunday

Leading musicians from around the world come to pay tribute to the 1.5 million who died.

This is from this morning's Today programme

Speaking to the Today's programme's John Humphrys, Henia Bryer described how she has lived with the memory of such horrors and how important it is to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive.
                  Last edited by Guest; 25-01-13, 12:10. Reason: dud line + trypo

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                    Can this thread be closed???
                    Why, for heaven's sake? How is it offensive? Or would you like to whitewash the past?

See this published article in The Guardian for why I would like to know more about this sensitive topic: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2006...secondworldwar

Comment

• Pabmusic
                      • May 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                      This Sunday is Holocause Memorial Day.

Leading musicians from around the world come to pay tribute to the 1.5 million who died.

Speaking to the Today's programme's John Humphrys, Henia Bryer described how she has lived with the memory of such horrors and how important it is to keep the memory of the Holocaust alive.

documentary, "Prisoner Number A26188: Henia Bryer", on Sunday 27 February on BBC1 at 10.25pm.
                      Thanks, Ams.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                        This Sunday is Holocaust Memorial Day.

documentary, "Prisoner Number A26188: Henia Bryer", on Sunday 27 February on BBC1 at 10.25pm.
                        I wonder when the BBC will get round to covering the Great Purge Memorial Day.

Comment

• Pabmusic
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                          I wonder when the BBC will get round to covering the Great Purge Memorial Day.
                          I don't follow you. Are you saying that there is a remembrance day for the Great Purge? Or that there should be one? Or that the BBC wouldn't mark it, even if there were? Or that 'we' would not be interested in it? I've not come across Great Purge deniers - we seem to accept that Stalin was responsible for millions of deaths.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

I think Vinteuil's words of wisdom on composers on the recent Britten thread apply equally to many great performers.

But one of the oddest things about human beings is that there seems to be no relationship at all between the "goodness" of a particular human being and the ability of that person to create the most wonderful art.
                            Those new to classical music, Throppers, would do well to start with Schwarzkopf's voice, I'd say. I share ff's weary sigh on seeing this old warhorse trotted out again. Karajan, Gooddall, Clemens Krauss, Gieseking...a whole troop of cavalry here.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Pabmusic View Post
                              I don't follow you. Are you saying that there is a remembrance day for the Great Purge? Or that there should be one? Or that the BBC wouldn't mark it, even if there were? Or that 'we' would not be interested in it? I've not come across Great Purge deniers - we seem to accept that Stalin was responsible for millions of deaths.
                              The Holocaust has become a go-to metaphor for industrial genocide, when the Great Purge - an even more numerous human genocide - is not given the same emotional deference. There are those in the Jewish community who believe that the Shoa has been turned into a mawkish industry that has cheapened remembrance of this human catastrophe, and actually proved a hindrance (see the introduction to Peter Watson's book, The German Genius).

In answer to one of your questions. I would like to see the same level of remembrance accorded the Great Purge.

I'm not sure how you could extrapolate the fact that 'we' wouldn't be interested in one from what I wrote.

Comment

Working...
                              X