X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lateralthinking1
    • Sep 2024

The gap between artistic ideas and artistic ability

I have quite a lot of ideas for paintings that might not have previously been attempted. I have also some thoughts about concepts in both music and the visual arts that to my knowledge are new. Unfortunately, I can't write music, play a musical instrument well or paint. I doubt that this is unique. Some musicians/artists have tremendous technical ability but think mainly in terms of the tried and tested. A few might be open to the ideas of other people. Is there a way that new ideas and proven ability can be brought together somehow - some sort of website? - so that there is a genuine collaboration rather than the ideas simply being stolen? Person X says "this is the idea" and Person Y then says "I will put it into action", with each benefiting from what is produced.
    Last edited by Guest; 20-01-13, 01:53.
  • Boilk
    • Dec 2010

Not really answering your question Lateralthinking1, but seeing the phrase "gap between artistic ideas and artistic ability" immediately put me in mind of John Cage's infamous 'silence' piece 4'33". That's a big artistic idea which requires only numeric counting ability from the on-stage performer(s) and comparatively nothing from the offstage performers other than to listen (which requires an ear or two, but no artistic ability).

[Of course there will people (including at least one on this forum) who insist it requires utmost artistic concentration from both.]

If a performance artist or non-musician had come up with this piece, and it wasn't published by a respectable publisher, would it have been long-since forgotten? Possibly.

Comment

Working...
    X