X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Awful trails on BBC TV

Is that awful trail with the nasty sounding wow on it driving anyone else mad. Mrs C is thinking of abandoning BBC TV until it's gone away.
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
    Is that awful trail with the nasty sounding wow on it driving anyone else mad. Mrs C is thinking of abandoning BBC TV until it's gone away.
    There are an awful lot of awful trails aren't there cloughie? Which one do you mean? Incidentally, the presentation links for BBC HD programmes are absolutely deafening, quite the worst yet !

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      There are an awful lot of awful trails aren't there cloughie? Which one do you mean? Incidentally, the presentation links for BBC HD programmes are absolutely deafening, quite the worst yet !
      Not sure which trailer Mrs Cloughie is being assailed by (what's it for?)... Most watching at home is done on recordings on the PVR of selected progs, a great advantage is that one almost never has to watch trailers between programmes, or even those wretched ones over the closing credits.

On that topic, a great advantage of BBC HD over BBC2 apart from picture quality is that the HD transmission is free of "COMING UP NEXT" interruptions, allowing one to enjoy the theme music etc - esp welcome with quality drama like Borgen etc.
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
        Not sure which trailer Mrs Cloughie is being assailed by (what's it for?)... Most watching at home is done on recordings on the PVR of selected progs, a great advantage is that one almost never has to watch trailers between programmes, or even those wretched ones over the closing credits.

On that topic, a great advantage of BBC HD over BBC2 apart from picture quality is that the HD transmission is free of "COMING UP NEXT" interruptions, allowing one to enjoy the theme music etc - esp welcome with quality drama like Borgen etc.
        Useful to know. Thanks, Cali.

Comment

• cloughie
          • Dec 2011

It's the LOVE 2013 one.

Comment

• Mr Pee
            • Nov 2010

It's the LOVE 2013 one.

I think that one's alright. Can't say it's been a major source of irritation to me.

And at the end of the day, there are more important things to get worked up about. You can always hit the mute button.
            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• cloughie
              • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
              I think that one's alright. Can't say it's been a major source of irritation to me.

And at the end of the day, there are more important things to get worked up about. You can always hit the mute button.
              Shouldn't have to Pee!

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I simply record the programmes and fast forward through the adverts/trailers. It seems a shame that the BBC sacrifices its major advantage over rivals by introducing these irritations.

A more annoying trend for me is the 'squashed credits' at the ends of programmes, when the names become unreadable so that half the screen can show a picture of the next programme. I was particularly annoyed at the end of the recent showing of The Iron Lady. Not only was I keen to see the actors involved, but also which politicians of the past were being portrayed. I phoned Ch4 to complain; surely that's the one channel which still normally shows respect to viewers and to those involved in the production of the programmes. I was told that my opinion had been noted.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                  I simply record the programmes and fast forward through the adverts/trailers. It seems a shame that the BBC sacrifices its major advantage over rivals by introducing these irritations.

A more annoying trend for me is the 'squashed credits' at the ends of programmes, when the names become unreadable so that half the screen can show a picture of the next programme. I was particularly annoyed at the end of the recent showing of The Iron Lady. Not only was I keen to see the actors involved, but also which politicians of the past were being portrayed. I phoned Ch4 to complain; surely that's the one channel which still normally shows respect to viewers and to those involved in the production of the programmes. I was told that my opinion had been noted.
                  The other trend is for "mash-up" trailers with 1-2 second clips from lots of different dramas. I think these work rather well, indeed perhaps the dramas themselves could be merged, like those threads of Caliban's

Comment

• Boilk
                    • Dec 2010

I was told that my opinion had been noted.
                    ...and, no doubt, filed for further processing in the Recycle Bin?

I detest those previews over the final credits because they either ruin the (sometimes reasonable) closing music, or else completely destroy the closing mood of the programme.

Very often there is no correlation between the programme ending and what is being plugged (e.g. history of art vs. Match of The Day). Even worse if you're recording to DVD

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Boilk View Post

Very often there is no correlation between the programme ending and what is being plugged (e.g. history of art vs. Match of The Day). Even worse if you're recording to DVD
                      And being shown the vital scenes from the next episode is even worse than that. I have learnt to be very quick with the remote control when these scenes appear.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Mrs C is thinking of abandoning BBC TV until it's gone away.
                        I seem to have done that already - without making a concious decision. I cannot think of any programme I watch regularly which is on any of the BBC channels.

Please may I have a refund of the TV part of my licence fee?

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

I seem to have done that already - without making a concious decision. I cannot think of any programme I watch regularly which is on any of the BBC channels.

Please may I have a refund of the TV part of my licence fee?
                          Me neither. I suppose I watch Match of the Day most weeks, or the football league show.I could watch them on iplayer for free though.
                          thats it. Don't watch the news.
                          Am seriously thinking of giving up the telly, since ITV etc are worse if anything.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                            • Nov 2010

At the risk of being accused of plugging Sky TV, they have recently listened to their viewers and are no longer squashing the credits at the end of programmes.

One can only hope that other broadcasters will follow suit.
                            Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

, allowing one to enjoy the theme music etc - esp welcome with quality drama like Borgen etc.
                              I'm sure there will be a CotW on it soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X