Help with repertoire for wind orchestra please.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • teamsaint
    • Nov 2010

Help with repertoire for wind orchestra please.

Hello all

I was hoping I could get a few suggestions from your collective wealth of knowledge.
    I am helping (!) to put together a small selection of pieces for a wind orchestra. The pieces are for two concerts on a short tour to Holland/ The Netherlands. The general standard of the orchestra is around grade 8/ university undergraduate level.
    They are looking for some longer pieces, suites or something as a centrepieces for the concerts. I did think that something British and/or Dutch would be good.
    Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks

TS.
    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.
  • Boilk
    • Dec 2010

Accessible and refreshingly different,
    Hovhaness's 20-minute Symphony No.4 ...

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Some initial British suggestions:

Vaughan Willams: English Folk Song Suite
      Malcolm Arnold: The Padstow Lifeboat
      Gustav Holst: First Suite in E-flat for Military Band

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

SubContra has listed a few of the classics- I'd add the Holst Second suite and his"Hammersmith" Prelude and Scherzo, but try these composers for something a bit more modern:-

Adam Gorb:-

Philip Sparke:- (Year of the Dragon is tremendous, and would suit a grade 8/Undergraduate level band perfectly)

Edit:- I should add Edward Gregson to the list:-

Last edited by Mr Pee; 13-01-13, 18:36.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
          • Nov 2010

These are super pieces,not sure what standard they are though ts.

Chandos Records is one of the world's premiere classical record companies, focusing on superb quality musical recordings.

Comment

• aeolium
            • Nov 2010

Gordon Jacob wrote well for wind instruments (e.g. his Serenade for woodwind octet, Old Wine in New Bottles, Concerto for Band)

Nielsen woodwind quintet and Serenata in Vano

Triebensee's arrangements of extracts from Don Giovanni for wind band

Reicha's wind quintets

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

I'd chip in Derek Bourgeois's 'Serenade' for amusement, memorability and playability - and also a good anecdote (cf the blurb here http://www.windrep.org/Serenade_(Bourgeois) )

Well within the capacity of amateurs of the age you mention. I had the pleasure of playing it with a youth orchestra under the composer's baton (and we got the 'wedding' story from the horse's mouth )
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

I don't know how difficult it is, but the Dvorak Serenade for wind is a charming piece - if too long, perhaps suitable for selection of bleeding chunks .

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

sprog played this when her orchestra 'won' the national UK competition a year or so back ... it is astonishing live

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                    I don't know how difficult it is, but the Dvorak Serenade for wind is a charming piece - if too long, perhaps suitable for selection of bleeding chunks .
                    It is, but it's not for Wind Orchestra, by which I think the OP means a Symphonic Wind Band, with Orchestral Brass and French Horns as well as 3 or 4 clarinet parts and the full Orchestral Wind Section, Saxophones etc.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      It is, but it's not for Wind Orchestra, by which I think the OP means a Symphonic Wind Band, with Orchestral Brass and French Horns as well as 3 or 4 clarinet parts and the full Orchestral Wind Section, Saxophones etc.
                      That's right. A concert band is a relatively badly balanced affair, with an excess of screechy woodwind and often excessive percussion. A wind orchestra is quite a different animal.

Comment

• cloughie
                        • Dec 2011

Gounod:Petite Wind Symphony.

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Thanks for all the excellent suggestions, which we are working through. Do please add any more you think of.Some amazing stuff. I'll give some slghtly better feedback later in the process.
                          Mr Pee and EA are right, its a symphonic wind band/ orchestra with all the sections mentioned.
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Check out Percy Grainger: he loved (and played sax) in military bands, and despite being a distinguished concert pianist 'officially', very frequently arranged his stuff (often wrote his stuff first) for some sort of wind orchestra. He took a lot from US specimens of that ilk though, so you'd need to check carefully on instrumentation.
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pabmusic
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              Some initial British suggestions:

Vaughan Willams: English Folk Song Suite
                              Malcolm Arnold: The Padstow Lifeboat
                              Gustav Holst: First Suite in E-flat for Military Band
                              To which I'd add the Holst Second Suite if F (especially with your Southampton connexions, since the tunes of the first three movements are all from Hampshire). Then there's:

Holst: Hammersmith (more difficult than the two suites)
                              Host: A Moorside Suite (originally for brass band, but arranged by Gordon Jacob)
                              Percy Grainger: Children's March, Over the Hills and Far Away
                              Percy Grainger: Lincolnshire Posy (really quite difficult)
                              Johan de Mij: The Lord of the Rings (a 40-minute symphony for wind band that's very good)
                              RVW: Toccata Marziale

Comment

Working...
                              X