• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

How do you spend Sundays ?

Use today as an example ....

Two church services for me, with a quick basket round Marks and Spencer and Wilkinsons.

Hoping to fit in new Brahms/Tennstedt and Sibelius/Barbirolli discs somehwere

plus the Johnny Wilson gig from Leeds on the wireless. Kitchen needs tidying.

Owe a few people PM's on here so will try and cram those in too ....
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Used to attend Church, preferably 8am service but can't make it now - over a mile's walk. Otherwise, being retired much the same as in the week but usually a good day for emails to and from friends and relatives, And phone calls of course
    recording or watching Countryfile and Antiques' Roadshow and trying to catch up on unplayed CDs, I have dozens.

And thinking about doing some shredding, I shall never catch up with that.
    Last edited by salymap; 13-01-13, 10:43.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

I used to attend church to salymap. Now for example, I just make time to chill, listen to music then go and see parents and meet up with two of my sisters maybe for a chat.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• rauschwerk
        • Nov 2010

This is not typical!

Have already prepared venison stew for tonight and set it going in slow cooker (10h cooking time). Thin out contents of wardrobe to prepare for delivery of new bedroom furniture. Snack lunch. Rehearse for gig in March (4 hours including the travel). Supper. Very little of interest to myself or my wife on TV tonight so very much hoping to listen to quite a bit of music.

Normally we would go for a walk on a Sunday but today's rehearsal rules that out.

Comment

• teamsaint
          • Nov 2010

Recovering from Thursday, Alison !

No two ever the same.

But sitting here with Debussy playing and a pot of tea does very nicely for now.
          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
            • Nov 2010

No two Sundays are ever the same here.
            Depends on grandchildren sitting duties.
            Today is a good one though.
            Mrs ER at work,son in bed nursing a hangover,no grandkids,hot steaming mug of black coffee and Mozart string quintets,2 cracking games on telly later,c'mon Arsenal and Liverpool.
            Sundays always involve a long walk with the dog (music on the i pod).

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Up for tea at 8:00 (a.m.!); make porridge (with a Bach cantata) at 9:00; wash up, wash and sort out laundry; settle down to to Forum at 10:30 (with occasional pauses to gaze in astonishment at the wonders of Nature as seen from the window - not a euphemism for the neighbours' neglecting to close their curtains!); housework 'til lunchtime & R4 comedy; constitutional after lunch; work/garden (not in this weather)/DIY/listen/Forum 1:30 - 3:30; snooze; make dinner (with same Bach cantata); Dinner with David Attenborough; wash-up, prepare for Monday/Listen/write/Forumize; late evening TV fluff, then bed with a book at around 11:00.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Flay
                • Mar 2007

Get the paper, walk the dogs, breakfast.... So far so good.

But today Mrs Flay has a list of Things To Do....

...as usual...
                Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                  • Nov 2010

Up at 0530 to worship the dawn. 30minutes knapping flints for my arrows. Gruel at 0700. Stealthy lurk in bushes near litch gate hoping to pick off a unsuspecting Christian on the way to early mass (unsuccessful). Three hours on my novel. Take hunting dogs for a stretch. Feed cattle in mire. DID Martin Carthy....
                  bong ching

Comment

• Ferretfancy
                    • Nov 2010

Orange juice, bran flakes, full English ( Egg , bacon, fried bread and tomato ) toasted home made wholemeal and home made Seville orange marmalade. This is the only meal that my partner cooks just once a week, and he is good at it, if a trifle slow in preparation. This repast is usually accompanied by a Mozart concerto, which is a bit of a sin, as it should not really be background music, but I do listen while enjoying the meal.

More music later, but only walks if there is a destination worth visiting. This is because Hampstead Heath on Sundays is infested with green wellies, muddy dogs and hordes of Tarquins and Pippas out with their journalist parents, who usually look bored stiff.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Normally I would be at work, but today I am 'resting', i.e. lots of housework to do for the rest of the day.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Today I got up a bit earlier than usual so I took the dog out (normally I'm cosily tucked up while Mr Floss takes the dog out). Breakfast, since then I've been finishing off a dressing-gown I've made from some hammam towels I bought in Istanbul, & advising Mr F who's been sorting out the bedlinen. I'll need to go to a gallery & collect an unsold print. After that I think it's time to relax (unless Mr F has other chores on his list )

Just remembered that I haven't finished my tax return, so I should probably do that.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Sunday is the only day I allow myself the luxury of a lie-in; usually up early on a Saturday to spend enough time to sort out my horses for betting on the afternoons racing.

My sister usually visits on a Sunday morning and it's the only day when, after lunch, I can visit our mother who is in a care home about 15 miles away. Once back from there I'll listen to the repeat of Choral Evensong and 'forumize' (as FHG puts it!).

I will spend the evening listening to music, usually with a programme on CD chosen well in advance. I used to go for the big blockbusters on a Sunday evening but now do that less and less. It's then time to settle down and come back on here until preparing for another week at work.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by eighthobstruction View Post
                            Up at 0530 to worship the dawn. 30minutes knapping flints for my arrows. Gruel at 0700. Stealthy lurk in bushes near litch gate hoping to pick off a unsuspecting Christian on the way to early mass (unsuccessful). Three hours on my novel. Take hunting dogs for a stretch. Feed cattle in mire. DID Martin Carthy....

"...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Since working irregular hours and days in my first job a very long time ago, I've never managed to settle down to anything like the concept of a weekend - let alone Sunday being special! Probably not a good idea in the long run as every day seems to become a 'working day' !

Comment

Working...
                              X