X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Chopin: Ballade no 1 in G minor Op 23

I found the extract from Alan Rusbridger's new book in http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2013...lan-rusbridger yesterday's Guardian review[/URL] fascinating.

As well as editing the Guardian, Rusbridger is an amateur pianist of, IMHO, some distinction. The book is about the task he set himself of learning the Ballade in one year, devoting just twenty minutes of each of his very busy days (often 16 hours, 5 or more days a week) to learning it. He set himself also the goal of performing it to a group of friends. I commend his article. There is also a bit of his performance in a video linked from the website home page today.
  • rauschwerk
    • Nov 2010

One can only admire Mr Rusbridger for this. How he managed on so little practice is a mystery to me. Murray Perahia told him that he needed at least two hours for anything to stick!

Comment

• Ferretfancy
      • Nov 2010

He managed to find time to secure a large photograph of himself on the front page of yesterday's Guardian Review, complete with a banner headline and three and a half full pages describing his pianistic efforts inside the paper. True, the article was interesting, but it does rather smack of editorial indulgence to me.

Having said that, I have to admit that he is a great supporter of King's Place.

Comment

• kernelbogey
        • Nov 2010

Perhaps the editor of the Review received an offer he couldn't refuse....

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
          He managed to find time to secure a large photograph of himself on the front page of yesterday's Guardian Review, complete with a banner headline and three and a half full pages describing his pianistic efforts inside the paper. True, the article was interesting, but it does rather smack of editorial indulgence to me.

Having said that, I have to admit that he is a great supporter of King's Place.
          This also doubled up as an advertorial for Rubbisher*'s forthcoming book on his piano playing, yours for only £18.99 from the Guardian Bookshop!

See churnalism for details.

Newspapers will eat themselves.

*Private Eye's coinage, not mine.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
            This also doubled up as an advertorial for Rubbisher*'s forthcoming book on his piano playing, yours for only £18.99 from the Guardian Bookshop!

See churnalism for details.

Newspapers will eat themselves.

*Private Eye's coinage, not mine.
            Point taken but from the extracts that I've read it appears to be an interesting book and I can't see it being serialised in The Sunday Times

Comment

Working...
            X