• kleines c
    • Oct 2024

Petroc

c
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-13, 15:01.
  • gurnemanz
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kleines c View Post
    The Baueromelette (“farmers omelette” with bacon, cheese, onions) and salad nicoise are highly recommended.
    I've not had eaten that very dish but we did order something called Bauernschmaus (peasant's banquet) at a village Gaststätte near the picturesquely-named mountain, Grimming in the Ennstal. It turned out to be a tasty and voluminous plateful of pork, bacon, sauerkraut, sausage and dumplings.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I get the feeling that some have an annoyingly enjoyable lifestyle!

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

The menu is light including breakfast, sandwiches, antipasti and salads. The Baueromelette (“farmers omelette” with bacon, cheese, onions) and salad nicoise are highly recommended.
        Come off it! This is Austria! Every course must include dumplings - well, it's a balanced diet!

Comment

• kleines c

c

Comment

• ostuni
            • Nov 2010

Mountaineering is way too scary, as was downhill skiing, when I tried it for the first (and only) time in my late 40s (probably too late to start). However, now in my (very) late 50s, I thoroughly enjoy a little gentle Langlauf, and Mrs Ostuni & I will be heading off for a week in Mösern (Tirol) next month. Looking forward to the dumplings... (and Mrs O is partial to the disturbingly breast-like Germknödel).

Comment

• kleines c

c

Comment

• Zucchini
                • Nov 2010

I should perhaps confess that I am top climber, ostuni, whether in the Himalayas, the Andes or the Alps.
                Well, I don't believe you because your life expectancy with any human being as climbing partner would be little more than a couple of hours, after which he/she would have had enough of your gibberish, cut the rope and tossed you over the edge.

But I might change my mind and believe you if you can give a few examples of routes you've attempted in the Mont Blanc Massif* which I know well, degrees of difficulty and names of any guiding families you used or met. And tell me the teams you joined in Asia and Sth America.

*If you get your atlas out you'll find Chamonix Mont-Blanc right where France, Italy and Switzerland meet.

Comment

• Petrushka
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                  Well, I don't believe you because your life expectancy with any human being as climbing partner would be little more than a couple of hours, after which he/she would have had enough of your gibberish, cut the rope and tossed you over the edge.
                  "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Zucchini View Post
                    I.E., tossed him off sans rope or crampons?

Comment

• gurnemanz
                      • Nov 2010

I know the area well, Gurnemanz; it is in the Alps somewhere between Vienna, Graz and Salzburg, not that far from Hallstätter See. I commend such a peasant's banquet in Ennstal (Styria) to everyone reading The Radio 3 Forum in 2013. It is a beautiful part of Austria, particularly at this time of year. Out of interest, are there any keen mountaineers or skiers reading Platform 3 today?
                      We had a great holiday down there with our two quite young children. We drove down from Uk stopping over with my friend in Luxembourg and picking up Oma (my wife's mother) in Biberach, S Germany. We then ploughed on down via Salzburg to Irdning in the Ennstal. Someone had given us the tip that wintersport accommodation could be booked really cheaply in the summer. We were the only guests in the Pension and the host offered us his home-made Schnaps which he concocted in a shed (designed like a mini chalet) at the bottom of the garden.

Comment

• kleines c

Climb with 'c'! As for Serial_Apologist, and your subsequent question below, needs must. I suggest that you do not press french frank for an explanation, on this particular occasion, she could certainly do with a good rest in 2013, but the reason should be obvious enough to those of you who have actually met with kleines c over the past decade. Thank you all very much indeed! I can only offer my full and unreserved apologies to everyone reading The Radio 3 Forum. If I may propose some toast: to all of you! Three cheers from kleines c and the gang (Krug)!

Last edited by Guest; 11-01-13, 07:11.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                          • Nov 2010

A couple of years ago in Germany I ordered liver dumplings, but mispronounced them as 'lieberknoedel'. I realised what I'd done as soon as I said it. There was a bit of a pause before the waitress acknowledged my order, and I confess it crossed my mind that 'love dumplings' might have a more intimate meaning.
                          Steve

Comment

• gurnemanz
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                            A couple of years ago in Germany I ordered liver dumplings, but mispronounced them as 'lieberknoedel'. I realised what I'd done as soon as I said it. There was a bit of a pause before the waitress acknowledged my order, and I confess it crossed my mind that 'love dumplings' might have a more intimate meaning.
                            Out of curiosity I Googled "Liebesknödel". They do seem to exist. Recipe here.

I once got a sore throat while working in Germany and went to the chemist's for a remedy. I knew the word for "suck" was "saugen" and asked fluently "Haben Sie etwas zum Saugen?". (Have you got anything to suck?) It caused an amused reaction from the young woman at the counter. "Saugen" does mean "to suck" but as with a baby at the mother's breast not as with a lozenge in the mouth. She kindly taught me the correct word "lutschen" and our relationship went no further.

Comment

• Stunsworth
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                              Out of curiosity I Googled "Liebesknödel". They do seem to exist. Recipe here
                              Thanks, I have to admit that at the time I wondered if they were connected with what you wanted to do with your lozenges.
                              Steve

Comment

Working...
                              X