X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old Grumpy
    • Jan 2011

Mike Harding Sacked from Radio 2

Much as I like Mark Radcliffe, this sounds pretty shabby to me.
  • Lateralthinking1

Originally posted by Old Grumpy View Post
    Much as I like Mark Radcliffe, this sounds pretty shabby to me.
    I have mixed views on this matter although the article has moved my thinking. Mike Harding is to be respected for developing the programme, introducing the Folk Awards and having been hugely successful in increasing audience figures. The latter is particularly interesting. Given the ludicrous emphasis everywhere on ratings, one might ask what someone needs to do in order to please the powers-that-be. But some of this comes down to taste. As it happens, either because of where/when the programme is broadcast or his presenting style, I was never a regular listener. I didn't find him at all offensive but the programme just didn't grab me - and I do like a lot of folk music. I wasn't aware of a generational difference but a sense perhaps that it hadn't broadened in tone to be beyond the folk club circle. Contrived commerciality isn't how the folk programme should be pitched but there is a middle way.

Had someone other than Mark Radcliffe been the inheritor, I would not have been pleased. And had we known about the intended changes in advance, the fear might have been that we would get a folk equivalent of Jamie Cullum. As it is, I quite like Radcliffe, have respect for his knowledge, and believe from many of his past projects that he has a respect for tradition. He seems to be a person who can join the 1960s to 2013 without playing wall to wall indie folk music. Apart from the post 2000 resurgence, there have been a lot of revivals of folk music since the early 1970s, not least during the late 1980s. I think he will be well placed to treat them all well. And one thing that seems obvious by his appointment is that the folk programme won't be coming to Radio 3.

As for Mike, he has done his job well and individual broadcasters of that kind do have a devoted following. We have seen upset over the moving of Mark Coles (BBC World Service/World Music), DJ Ritu (BBC Radio London/World Music), Mary Ann Kennedy (BBC Radio Scotland/World Music), Danny Baker (BBC Radio London/Afternoon Show) and not one but shockingly several presenters of folk music programmes across BBC local radio. Apart from Baker, there's a theme here. Perhaps supporters of folk and world music should now be thankful they have any programmes at all and at a time when the "brands", a horrible word, are actually thriving.

Baker, who I tend to see as having a little amount of special talent and a lot of ability for self-publicity - I'm not against him but am certainly not a big fan - was very open about the way he was dismissed. Looking at Mike's story, the experiences do not appear dissimilar. The impression one has, sadly, is that those who are paid very well to wield the axe are often types with a huge streak of cowardice. Baker mentioned his recent ill heath. Harding has spoken about his age. Of course, the decision makers find other spurious arguments and they would be on extremely dodgy ground if they didn't. That the phone is picked up just days before, with no prior contact over the years, or it is done by word of mouth is disgusting. I know that the way they do these things doesn't make it at all easy for the ones coming in and that their own ability to put on a good show can suffer at least in the short term. I could name names here but I won't do in respect of them and because they are not broadcasters on BBC Radio 3.

When it comes to age, there are two arguments. One is that the law now emphasises the rights of older people in employment, all ages should be represented on the network and, well, look at Bruce Forsyth, Melvyn Bragg, Brian Matthew, and Nicholas Parsons. The other is that at the age of 68 perhaps it is right that the financially secure should accept that younger people have lives too and should be given good opportunities. Both arguments have merit. It is probably horses for courses. Those who have built a fan base over many years can at least continue with internet broadcasting. I wish both Mike and Mark well in their future programmes.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-01-13, 15:47.

Comment

• teamsaint
      • Nov 2010

I used to tune into Mike Harding's show every few weeks. I am even less likely to listen now, as I find Mark Radcliffe's style increasingly annoying over time, more and more rather uninteresting banter.
      Never mind, plenty of other music to find and enjoy.
      Last edited by teamsaint; 07-01-13, 17:03.
      I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

Working...
      X