Another name from my childhood departs....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mangerton
    • Nov 2010

Another name from my childhood departs....

..... with the death of Daphne Oxenford.

I was always sitting comfortably at a quarter to two.
  • VodkaDilc

I never missed it either - and when I started to take a particular interest in the musical aspects, I realised what superb arrangements of the songs they used. "Have you seen the muffin man?", "This is the way the farmers (etc) ride", with appropriate piano accompaniment for each character.

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

So was I. It was a great wrench when I started school in September 1951 and could no longer listen to her every day.

Comment

• Beef Oven

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
        So was I. It was a great wrench when I started school in September 1951 and could no longer listen to her every day.
        Yes, a regular feature of my day until 1965. To be honest, I'd totally forgotten about WWM. RIP Daphne.

Comment

• gurnemanz
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

Surprising vivid memories of Daphne after all these years and a man called George Dixon singing nursery rhymes in a rather stilted manner and my mother serving rice pudding.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Ah, the delights of Daphne O and then at 2pm, on to the more mysterious world - for a small boy - of Woman's Hour
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• JFLL
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
              ... George Dixon singing nursery rhymes in a rather stilted manner ...
              'Ride a Cock Horse to Banbury Crorse' is the one I remember most vividly. (Titter ye not, missus ... )

Comment

• mercia
                • Nov 2010

........ and the poor old Berceuse forever associated ..............

This wonderful nostalgia site celebrates the '50s in all its monochrome glory; the quaintly formal presenters with their clipped English accents, the clunky theatrical dramas, the cosy parlour games, and the first TV adverts with their curiously infectious jingles. To get a real sense of the era, you neeed to see the programmes themselves and there are clips of everything from Andy Pandy to Zorro

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
                  • Nov 2010

I knew her from work of many years on 'What the Papers Say', and excellent and highly versatile she was too.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Sad news.

My education began with LWM. It is the main reason why I took to music and words. Better things might have happened if formal teaching had been to the same standard. And without the radio, I would probably have left school with a couple of O'levels at 16.

Comment

Working...
                    X