X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amateur51
    • Jul 2024

Christopher Martin-Jenkins, TMS commentator, dies

Christopher Martin-Jenkins, one of the voices of cricket on BBC Radio's Test Match Special (TMS) has died of cancer, aged 67.

Test Match Special commentator Christopher Martin-Jenkins dies of cancer at the age of 67.

He had a very distinctive radio voice, very calm and assured, slightly eccentric, and brought an amateur enthusiast's appreciation of the game.

He and his contributions will be sorely missed

• cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
    Christopher Martin-Jenkins, one of the voices of cricket on BBC Radio's Test Match Special (TMS) has died of cancer, aged 67.

Test Match Special commentator Christopher Martin-Jenkins dies of cancer at the age of 67.

He had a very distinctive radio voice, very calm and assured, slightly eccentric, and brought an amateur enthusiast's appreciation of the game.

He and his contributions will be sorely missed

I see the cricket world also lost Tony Greig -CM-J at 67, TG at 66 - no real age for either today, sad losses!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
      I see the cricket world also lost Tony Greig -CM-J at 67, TG at 66 - no real age for either today, sad losses!
      Very well put, cloughie.
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Alison
        • Nov 2010

A lovely radio voice which always made me regret not enjoying or even understanding cricket.

Comment

• Lateralthinking1

Sorry to hear this news. A true BBC voice and, dare I say it, the perfect antidote to Johnston.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Il Grande Inquisitor
              • Mar 2007

A great commentator - understated and always fair-minded - and a superb writer on the game. He always came across as a true gentleman and was often the target for his colleagues' (gentle) teasing, as witnessed in two lovely tributes, from Mike Selvey in The Guardian and from current TMS producer, Adam Mountford:

Mike Selvey: Farewell my dear CMJ, broadcaster, writer, colleague, friend, travelling and dining companion and golfing partner

Christopher Martin-Jenkins will be remembered as one of the legendary characters of cricket broadcasting

He was part of the TMS team, alongside the inimitable Brian Johnston and the eccentric Henry Blofeld, when I started listening and his thoughts on the game, in particular the changes it needed to make, were influential.

RIP, CMJ

Our chief weapon is surprise...surprise and fear...fear and surprise.... Our two weapons are fear and surprise...and ruthless efficiency....

Comment

Working...
              X