X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stillhomewardbound
    • Nov 2010

William Rees-Mogg RIP

Utterly plausible but rather ridiculous figure of his times, as with his extant son, Jacob Rees Mogg. Discuss.
  • JFLL
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Stillhomewardbound View Post
    Utterly plausible but rather ridiculous figure of his times, as with his extant son, Jacob Rees Mogg. Discuss.
    Best thing to be said about him is that he was the model for the wickedly comic character ‘Somerset Lloyd-James’ in Simon Raven’s Alms for Oblivion novels.
    Last edited by JFLL; 30-12-12, 11:17. Reason: Correction

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

The first time I was aware of him was his editorial in the Sunday Times in 1967 headed "Who breaks a butterfly on a wheel?", about the disgraceful prosecution and conviction of Jagger and Richards - disgraceful from the behaviour of the local plod right up to the judge. I was 18 at the time. The sentence was overturned, and as I remember Jagger was whisked by helicopter to the garden of the Oxford Union for a live discussion. Not bad for the time. He was a ground-breaking editor.

During the last election campaign Jacob was widely perceived as a figure of fun, but despite his fogeyish appearance and manner I've been impressed by his performances on Newsnight, dealing effectively with opponents and the likes of Miss Maitlis (as he called her).

Comment

• Stillhomewardbound
        • Nov 2010

The reason I posited that statement is I was struck at how the DT and Guardian obits gave him rather short shrift. He was catholic and I was used to seeing him until recently at a church I attend.

His son was introduced as a bit of a mini-celebrity when he was only thirteen years old or so and considered wonderfully clever, but then he joined the Conservative Party.

Comment

• Ferretfancy
          • Nov 2010

Major obit in Private Eye ?

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

His son was ... considered wonderfully clever, but then he joined the Conservative Party.

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

The reason I posited that statement is I was struck at how the DT and Guardian obits gave him rather short shrift. He was catholic and I was used to seeing him until recently at a church I attend.

His son was introduced as a bit of a mini-celebrity when he was only thirteen years old or so and considered wonderfully clever, but then he joined the Conservative Party.
              No chats with him over post service refreshments ?

Comment

• scottycelt

The reason I posited that statement is I was struck at how the DT and Guardian obits gave him rather short shrift. He was catholic ... .

Well he might have simply been considered a potential English traitor by the first (Guy Fawkes, selling out to Rome and all that) and a religious 'bigot' by the other... ?

More seriously, maybe the 'short shrift' was merely due to the late gentleman's very prominent connection with a major press rival ... ?

Comment

• gamba
                  Late member
                  • Dec 2010

I have a vague memory of reading about him having a ' thing ' about lawnmowers or am I imagining this. Anyone know ?

Comment

Working...
                  X