• Show
Clear All
  • Ferretfancy
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    Shame it didn't extend to the rights of women
    or those with AIDS

hardly a saint at all ...........
    I'm afraid that's true. Mother Teresa accepted gifts from some of the world's worst tyrants, and was happy to accept their sponsorship. Her concern was to save souls by allowing her poor victims to die without very much in the shape of medical care, let alone saving them. There are far better saints working in the NHS than she ever was.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
      I'm afraid that's true. Mother Teresa accepted gifts from some of the world's worst tyrants, and was happy to accept their sponsorship. Her concern was to save souls by allowing her poor victims to die without very much in the shape of medical care, let alone saving them. There are far better saints working in the NHS than she ever was.

It's very sad that the myths are still perpetrated about this woman

Comment

• vinteuil
        • Nov 2010

... if I remember aright, a Saint is someone who the Roman Catholic church is definitely sure is in heaven*, as evidenced by at least two miracles, and who can therefore reliably be called upon to intercede, from heaven, on behalf of mortals below.

Whereas a sinner is - well, all of us. ( With the single exception of the sinless Blessed Virgin Mary... )

So - if you're a saint - you're dead.

If you're a sinner - you're still alive.

As I'm still alive in the only life that I will have - well, I'm happy to be a sinner. Those wanting further details will have to await volume seven of my autobiography.

* of course there are supposed to be many more in heaven - but only those whose position there is guaranteed are accepted as saints by holy mother church..

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
          Those wanting further details will have to await volume seven of my autobiography.

I'll write you a Foreward for that for nowt, vints, if you like!

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
            ... if I remember aright, a Saint is someone who the Roman Catholic church is definitely sure is in heaven*, as evidenced by at least two miracles, and who can therefore reliably be called upon to intercede, from heaven, on behalf of mortals below.

Whereas a sinner is - well, all of us. ( With the single exception of the sinless Blessed Virgin Mary... )

So - if you're a saint - you're dead.

If you're a sinner - you're still alive.

As I'm still alive in the only life that I will have - well, I'm happy to be a sinner. Those wanting further details will have to await volume seven of my autobiography.

* of course there are supposed to be many more in heaven - but only those whose position there is guaranteed are accepted as saints by holy mother church..
            You remember aright a'right ... though I would turn 'if you're a sinner-you're still alive' on its head ... even Mother Teresa, however otherwise 'good', was a 'sinner' because all humans are sinners (according to Christian doctrine, not just Catholic).

So if the now heavenly Blessed Teresa did think of her goodself as a veritable saint-on-earth, as Flossie earnestly believes, she was actually, against all the odds, a complete heretic ...

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
              You remember aright a'right ... though I would turn 'if you're a sinner-you're still alive' on its head ... even Mother Teresa, however otherwise 'good', was a 'sinner' because all humans are sinners (according to Christian doctrine, not just Catholic).

So if the now heavenly Blessed Teresa did think of her goodself as a veritable saint-on-earth, as Flossie earnestly believes, she was actually, against all the odds, a complete heretic ...
              "God's purpose" appears to serve as a synonym, for anything that happens, or how one turns out, if anyone on here saw the documentary on Sister Wendy ont' telly the other night.

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
                I've often been told of 'angels' in the NHS but never 'saints', Ferret ... have they all now been demoted and had their pay cut by the awful Tories and those traitorous Lib Dems?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                  "God's purpose" appears to serve as a synonym, for anything that happens, or how one turns out, if anyone on here saw the documentary on Sister Wendy ont' telly the other night.
                  I tend to agree with you there S_A ... she was recently on Desert Island Discs as well, with her somewhat simple and happy-clappy 'all things to all people' approach, and her choice of music was almost enough to turn even the strongest believer into an atheist.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by scottycelt View Post
                    I her choice of music was almost enough to turn even the strongest believer into an atheist.
                    Did Sister Wendy make your foundations move, Scotty?

Comment

• scottycelt

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Did Sister Wendy make your foundations move, Scotty?
                      No, that was the All Bran, Flossie ...

Comment

Working...
                      X