X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man
    • Oct 2024

The Ten Myths of DAB

Knowing my interest in all things anti-FM SwitchOff, a friend of mine pointed me in the direction of this website http://ten-myths-of-dab.co.uk

Not had time to dip in extensively but some good points seem to have been made.
  • AuntyKezia
    • Jul 2011

Were others on this board as irritated as I was by the number of plugs for digital radios the BBC gave airtime to in the run-up to Christmas, presenting them as an ideal gift? Not to mention the large picture of a DAB radio that adorns the programme info for the Media Show on R4 ...

Comment

• David-G
      • Mar 2012

Originally posted by AuntyKezia View Post
      Were others on this board as irritated as I was by the number of plugs for digital radios the BBC gave airtime to in the run-up to Christmas, presenting them as an ideal gift? Not to mention the large picture of a DAB radio that adorns the programme info for the Media Show on R4 ...
      YES!! They were absolutely crass.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

They try it every year, but they aren't very successful, are they?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

I've just read all 10 myths, and it confirms what I've always thought. I have DAB and FM on my car radio and switch between them frequently. I could quite happily live without the digital stations, but then I only really want to listen to R3 & R4. Occasionally Radio 5 Live is useful, but you can get that on AM too.

Comment

• Bryn
            Banned
            • Mar 2007

As far as I am concerned, the repeated lying BBC pro-DAB propaganda (for that is what is it) is a rather greater stain on the Corporation's reputation than either New Night 'scandal'.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

I agree with all the above. As I've said many times I get the best sound for my impaired hearing with little FM mono radios and have one in every room. Of course I have one DAB and a slightly better radio in the living room.

The BBC are pathetic with their relentless campaign,= some people can't replace all their radios and don't have the internet.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

You could say the BBC are a DAB hand at it.

I'll get my frock coat...

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
                  You could say the BBC are a DAB hand at it.

I'll get my frock coat...
                  Err yes Good morning Thropple, no hangover there.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    Err yes Good morning Thropple, no hangover there.
                    I've found that the best way to avoid a hangover is to just keep drinking. Push on through.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

I've just trawled through the myths and I can't say I'm impressed.

Myth 5, for example.
                      1. The impression is given that the PWC Cost Benefit Analysis is somehow 'hidden': it isn't, it's there for all to see.
                      2. The impression is given that PWC are reporting serious reservations as to the benefits of the changeover. This is nonsense. PWC derive a positive NPV for the scheme under the scenario mapped out for the changeover. They then go on to report a sensitivity analysis for the NPV if various project scenarios are changed - a perfectly standard project evaluation procedure. In most cases, when you do this, all the sensitivities are negative going. Of course they, because hopefully you've had the whit in the first place to optimise the project proposal. And this assessment follows the norm: the sensitivities are predominantyly negative. Well, so what! Now we know what NOT to do when the project rolls out.
                      3. Benefits of digital switchover of £1bn are cited in the myth 5 statement. As far as I can see, that figure in the PWC report relates to the digital switchover of the DTT network (p77).

Myth 7
                      So he doesn't accept the analogue network will require £200 m of maintenance work over the next 20 years. Seems reasonable to me, given the age of the analogue system. That's not capital expenditure, it's maintenance expenditure, but then he probably doesn't know the difference. He then goes on to compare that to capital expenditure on digital rollout. They're not the same thing.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
                        I've just trawled through the myths and I can't say I'm impressed.

Myth 5, for example.
                        1. The impression is given that the PWC Cost Benefit Analysis is somehow 'hidden': it isn't, it's there for all to see
                        Really. You must be privileged, indeed, as the version I saw was redacted. Heavily. Or maybe your crystal ball is working? Perhaps you could post a link to an unredacted version for us all to see?

Regarding capital vs maintenance expenditure....I have to bow to your obvious supercilious knowledge. But whatever..surely looking at it, it's still money going out ? If they are saying that the analogue transmission on-costs are £200m (and I've never seen anything to back up that figure.....have you?) then someone has to pay for it. Didn't those commercial radio companies sign up to dual transmission when they applied for their licences?

OK...you've knocked the negatives of that website. So what constructive comments are you able to make or do you think the FM SwitchOff is a good idea?

Comment

• Flosshilde
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
                          OK...you've knocked the negatives of that website. So what constructive comments are you able to make or do you think the FM SwitchOff is a good idea?
                          D Luurve told him so.

Comment

• Jonathan
                            • Mar 2007

Now that's what I call irritating - those stupid pathetic adverts for DAB voiced over by Clive Anderson.

My DAB radio is far less superior in sound quality than my FM one. I, for one hope this switch over does not occur.
                            Best regards,
                            Jonathan

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post

Comment

Working...
                              X