The Ten Myths of DAB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Resurrection Man

Good points, Gordon. Didn't we respond to a new CBA late last year?

Am51....I came across this report http://www.culture.gov.uk/images/pub...ion_report.pdf which doesn't really help much. If one takes the early pages at face value one might - as I did - think that they were comparing FM only radios (ie what you and I use) against DAB radios and FM when part of a DAB radio. The comparison seems much more favourable for DAB consumption than we have been led to believe if my assumption is correct.

But looking at the table of sets that they have been meauring and reporting on....all seem to be combined DAB/FM radios. At least as far as I can see. More smoke and mirrors?

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Originally posted by Resurrection Man View Post
      “The results suggest that there are relatively few up-sides to the estimates, and several significant downside risks. … The results suggest that there is a very long pay-back from the Digital Radio Working Group [DRWG] policy ‘investment’ – the Net Present Value [NPV] turns positive after 2026. This result assumes that the existing multiplex licences are extended to 2030, as per the DRWG recommendations. Without the licence extension or any other policy instruments that provide clarity on the long term future of commercial radio, the industry and consumers may fail to see the benefits of digital radio over the longer term. Our analysis suggests that the NPV is negative should either of these two proposals not be implemented.”
      Which, as I pointed out as long ago in my supercillious post #11, simply means that the DAB switchover project has a well-optimised design and provides the best returns on the action;
      Originally posted by An_Inspector_Calls View Post
      1. The impression is given that PWC are reporting serious reservations as to the benefits of the changeover. This is nonsense. PWC derive a positive NPV for the scheme under the scenario mapped out for the changeover. They then go on to report a sensitivity analysis for the NPV if various project scenarios are changed - a perfectly standard project evaluation procedure. In most cases, when you do this, all the sensitivities are negative going. Of course they, because hopefully you've had the whit in the first place to optimise the project proposal. And this assessment follows the norm: the sensitivities are predominantyly negative. Well, so what! Now we know what NOT to do when the project rolls out.
      And as a final point:
      Originally posted by Gordon View Post
      So, if anyone really does want a campaign to deal with the switchover issue they have a few months in which to get an act together and be ready to launch a counter statement in the autumn. It had better be good, in fact it may have to be as good as a CBA.
      If you want to challenge the report, you’ll need the government (PWC) spreadsheet or produce your own costings. The latter is what’s happening in the wind industry debate – I don’t see it happening in the DAB/FM debate. Oponents to the DAB change need some firm objection other than 'I like FM and I don't want to change' .
      Last edited by Guest; 07-01-13, 16:59.

Comment

• Gordon
        • Nov 2010

Good points, Gordon. Didn't we respond to a new CBA late last year?
        Yes, we did, in July/August when they consulted on the Methodology for the CBA. Gone quiet hasn't it?

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Yes, we did, in July/August when they consulted on the Methodology for the CBA. Gone quiet hasn't it?
          I have asked for an update.

But I'm not holding my breath

Comment

• mangerton
            • Nov 2010

Perhaps they CBA to reply. Sorry. I'll get my coat.

Thanks to all who replied with advice about DACs. They appear to cost rather more than I thought they would. I shall consider this carefully!

Comment

• Nick_G
              • Aug 2012

The email I got back from them said that the CBA would be published in the winter, so I suppose that gives them until the end of February!

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Do you mean this?

announced here:
                This report details the methodology which underpins the DCMS’s assessment of the costs and benefits of a radio switchover programme.

as part of this:
                Plans to extend local digital radio coverage moved a step closer today.

Comment

• Gordon
                  • Nov 2010

Do you mean this?

announced here:
                  This report details the methodology which underpins the DCMS’s assessment of the costs and benefits of a radio switchover programme.

as part of this:
                  http://www.culture.gov.uk/news/media_releases/9176.aspx
                  Yes, Yes and Yes!! Many of us here responded to the associated consultation which closed at the end of August. Since then, nowt. Par for t'course though. Not sure if they published a summary of reponses which sometimes happens.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

Yes, Yes and Yes!! Many of us here responded to the associated consultation which closed at the end of August. Since then, nowt. Par for t'course though. Not sure if they published a summary of reponses which sometimes happens.
                    So it's five months since the consultation closed. I see no evidence of any summary. I don't think the time since the consultation closed is unreasonable give the scope of the CBA, but the response can't be far off. Reading the MOU announcement I get the impression that DAB switchover is now rather like an unstoppable train.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Doing a little research I came across this interesting thread on digital spy from people who, by the sound of it, are DAB users. The comments made bely the myth that everything in the DAB garden is hunky-dory. More dog's dinner.

Absolute 80s is now at 64kbps mono as of 12.01am. The main station is still at 112kbps stereo and 90s at 64kbps mono.

Here is one of the more polite posts ! Look at all those wonderful mono stations!

Another good reason to keep FM. At least FM broadcasts in STEREO....not bad for an old technology !

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

The comments made bely the myth that everything in the DAB garden is hunky-dory. More dog's dinner.
                        But surely a myth is something that has widespread belief. DAB has only two (2) advocates.

Comment

• Resurrection Man

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                          But surely a myth is something that has widespread belief. DAB has only two (2) advocates.

Comment

• An_Inspector_Calls

If you're colouring me a DAB supporter as one of the two (oh you are a one!) then sorry to disappoint, I'm simply disallusioned with FM after years of trying for decent reception/sound. I wouldn't spend another penny on the UK FM system. I'll take or leave DAB when it's finally rolled-out, which it will be.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                              Host
                              • Nov 2010

I'll take or leave DAB when it's finally rolled-out, which it will be.
                              I was under the distinct impression that it's here already.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                                • Nov 2010

I was under the distinct impression that it's here already.
                                It is
                                but since this argy bargy started it's gone a bit Squarepusher on the radio in the kitchen

Comment

Working...
                                X