X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

The Olympic Opening Ceremony

If you feel so inclined, you can still see the opening ceremony without commentary on the iPlayer:

This is only available until midnight on 12th January.

Once the athletes start coming in I suggest you cut to 3 hours 33mins for the entrance of the torch.
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Yes, I recorded the sans-commentaires version on BBC HD on the night of the ceremony, and it's been watched 2 or 3 times, especially with foreign visitors who were driven mad by the commentaries on their TV stations... I picked up your reference to having enjoyed it, Flay, on another thread and was going to comment - I think much of it is magnificent - the Industrial Revolution segment, and as you say the torch-lighting. Marvellous stuff.
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flosshilde
      • Nov 2010

Thanks Flay. Despite my (continuing) cynicism about the Olympics as an institution, & the so-called 'legacy', I thought what I saw of the opening ceremony (mainly the start of the industrial section & the cauldron) amazing theatre & I'd like to see the whole thing.

Comment

• Stunsworth
        • Nov 2010

As Paul Mason said at the time, it's the history of Lancashire.
        Steve

Comment

• Anna

I've also watched it again minus inane commentary (and skipping the athletes) I think the whole thing was brilliant but what a shame they wheeled McCartney out (I'd advise people to skip that bit!)

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Anna View Post
            I've also watched it again minus inane commentary (and skipping the athletes) I think the whole thing was brilliant but what a shame they wheeled McCartney out (I'd advise people to skip that bit!)
            Too true about the McCartney. It should have ended with the fireworks. I wonder how he feels about it?
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Flay View Post
              Too true about the McCartney. It should have ended with the fireworks. I wonder how he feels about it?
              As he is now a National Institution and a National Treasure I doubt that he worries or thinks about it at all! Before the Olympics started I was very sceptical about the whole venture (plus loving the 2012 programme) but once the opening ceremony started and the games began - I was totally hooked, never have I known such a feelgood factor to grip everyone.

Comment

• scottycelt

I can possibly lay claim to be even sadder than other members as I recorded the whole thing and transferred it to DVD ... not sure whether this is entirely legal, tbh, but I have no intention of it leaving the house or making further copies! A wonderful occasion which makes marvellous viewing, and catchy, atmospheric music to boot..

The McCartney section certainly seemed out of place with the high standard of the rest and, worse, it went on far, far too long ... and that was just the seemingly never-ending 'chorus' of Hey Jude . The only real weak point of what was a superbly organised and executed event, and surely one of the great highlights of 2012.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                  (and skipping the athletes)
                  Aren't they rather the point of the Games?

Actually I rather liked the athletes' parade, especially the smaller countries & most of all Saudi Arabia.

(it would be quite jolly if they did skip )

they wheeled McCartney out (I'd advise people to skip that bit!)
                  Given his great age (& despite the botox doesn't he look it?) I'm surprised he wasn't literally wheeled out.

Comment

• cloughie
                    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                    As Paul Mason said at the time, it's the history of Lancashire.
                    Yes but Yorkshire went on to get more medals.

Comment

• Flay
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                      Yes but Yorkshire went on to get more medals.
                      .... than Australia!
                      Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

I watched it unintentionally as I was visiting an acquaintance (it was turned off when the athletes started coming in). It was indeed spectacular to watch but I wondered how much sense it made to non-British audience. Or was it not the point?

Comment

Working...
                        X