What were your musical highlights of 2012?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
    1) Joining this forum. Getting to know music better through you, the board's knowledgeable and generous-minded souls, in a (generally) very warm and convivial atmosphere. (My bank manager might disagree about this, mind. )
    Originally posted by Flay View Post
    Absolutely right about this forum, Throppers! Top notch company brimming with ideas, opinions and humour. And it is good to have you join us, with your energetic and thoughtful contributions.

What fine sentiments, gents

Agreed!

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
    I was lucky enough to be at the VW Prom. Simply unforgettable, buzzing for days.
    I was there too, ts: also agreed!

Apart from that, I think my other highlight was hearing "Hymnus Paradisi" live in the flesh at the Proms. Pretty overwhelming
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

I bet it was, Cali!! So glad they put on that music! What a fie RVW condcutor AM is!
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• AuntyKezia
        • Jul 2011

Sitting in on a 3-hour rehearsal of Brahms' German Requiem in the Thomaskirche, Leipzig.

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

This year saw the release of Symphony No.1 in Ivan Fischer's Mahler cycle on Channel Classics. Another solid entry in the series, although some might find baulk at the rubato and other gestures in Fischer's reading. It's in stunningly crisp sound, too. (Oh, for an SACD player!)

I still think Bernstein/NYPO nail the 'crack of dawn' () better, mind.
          Last edited by Guest; 20-12-12, 17:34. Reason: a most egregious solecism

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Bernstein Mass - Proms

Billy Budd - ENO

Comment

• teamsaint
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
              Bernstein Mass - Proms

Billy Budd - ENO
              the Bernstein was cetainly a real eye opener for me. Very memorable indeed.
              I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Tristan Act 1 with Nina Stemme singing Isolde (the musical low-light was missing Act II through having an awful cough)

Vaughan Williams symphonies with the BBCSSO at the City Halls in Glasgow - perhaps not such an intense experience as the three-symphony Prom, but a much better environment & the concerts brought VW to life for me.

Comment

• johncorrigan
                  • Nov 2010

On the box that bucketing June night in Raploch with Dudamel and the Bolivar Orchestra - such joy on display and music helping to create positive change in a troubled community.
                  Live - the magnificent John Prine held a Perth audience in the palm of his hand back in August - had a smile on my face for days after.
                  Record - the ever wonderful Karine Polwart writing and singing Scotland and beyond on 'Traces'; and Sekouba Bambino's glorious voice on 'the Griot's Craft'.
                  Last edited by johncorrigan; 21-12-12, 00:29.

Comment

• Flay
                    • Mar 2007

Please don't slap me down for this, but I actually enjoyed the music in the Olympic Opening Ceremony!

For example, the LSO supplemented by youthful talent playing Nimrod just as it officially started, the snippet of Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here during the incredible firework explosions at the end of the ceremony, Evelyn Glennie and all the other drumming, the "Caliban's Dream" composition (just right for the lighting of the cauldron) and many of the pop selections.

I even enjoyed the Rattle/Atkinson stunt

In all, it's not been such a bad year!
                    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• johncorrigan
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
                      Please don't slap me down for this, but I actually enjoyed the music in the Olympic Opening Ceremony!

I even enjoyed the Rattle/Atkinson stunt
                      I thought it was brilliant; and the Chariots of Fire sketch one of the funniest things I saw this year - caught me totally by surprise.

Comment

• rauschwerk
                        • Nov 2010

I've made a resolution to hear live performances of pieces I have long loved only from recordings, so I nominate:-

Bartok's Sonata for Two Pianos and Percussion (Pierre-Laurent Aimard and friends at Snape);

Shostakovich 4 (BBCSO/Saraste at the Barbican).

Otherwise I, too, nominate the RVW 4/5/6 Prom which I caught on TV.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                          • Nov 2010

Mark Padmore and Paul Lewis in Die Winterreise in Southampton. Exquisite.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            I was lucky enough to be at the VW Prom. Simply unforgettable, buzzing for days...
                            There's been so much comment about this Prom, which I missed, that I hope there'll be a repeat ere long, and that enthusiasts here may flag it up in advance!

Comment

• Flosshilde
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                              There's been so much comment about this Prom, which I missed, that I hope there'll be a repeat ere long, and that enthusiasts here may flag it up in advance!
                              The 6th was broadcast during the afternoon on Wednesday.

Another highlight for me was Stravinsky's 'The Rake's Progress' at the Scottish Opera. Great performances, great production, and an intensely moving final scene.

Comment

• vinteuil
                                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                                the complete Sweelinck vocal works on 17CDs [6 volumes, with excellent documentation] on Glossa
                                Roehre - thanks for this. I think your posting has just tempted me to push this over the cusp from being a "want" to being a "need" ...

Comment

Working...
                                X